Mexican Enchilada Rice is one of those dishes that my family relishes a lot. It is my family's favorite weekend lunch recipe. It is made by layering veggies with black beans, enchilada sauce, rice, and cheese.
You can eat Enchilada Rice as it is or with a side of your choice. I like it with some roasted asparagus or street-style corns, or in fact with any roasted vegetable. Just like Enchilada, this rice recipe is full of flavors and is the kid's favorite meal too. Although I add some additional sauce like Trader Joe's Jalapeno Sauce and sometimes Sriracha too.
As we all know, making food in Instant Pot is so convenient and easy. But let me tell you, this is one of the easiest recipes that you can make in an instant pot. Just dump all the ingredients and let the Instant Pot do its magic.
This recipe of cheesy enchilada rice gluten-free and it is enjoyed by everyone. This is a one-pot meal that you can make in the pressure cooker or in an Instant Pot. Though cooking time will depend on the grain you will use in the recipe. The grain brown rice will take more time to pressure cook as compared to white rice.
TIPS TO REMEMBER
- Don't Mix the Ingredients: After adding water, add all the ingredients to Instant Pot. But don't mix/stir them. Sometimes if you mix the ingredients when quantity is more, instant pot may give burn notice. So to avoid this, I recommend just dump everything in the instant pot and not to mix them.
- First Saute finely chopped onions and bell peppers, and then add the rest of the ingredients to cook. Make sure the veggies are tender and not soft.
- You can add different ingredients as per your liking. I have added corn, black beans, jalapenos, etc. Add as many colorful veggies to the recipe as you wish. It will make this dish more vibrant.
- Usually, some people add Red & Green Enchilada Sauce to Mexican Enchilada Rice. There are many options available. My personal favorite is Trader Joe's Red Enchilada Sauce. It's very flavorful, and you don't even need to add a lot of it because it's so rich in flavor that a cup of it is sufficient.
- When the timer beeps and the valve goes down, open the lid. Add Cheese and close the lid for 5 minutes so that cheese gets melted.
- You can pressure release naturally,` or you can also quick release after 10 minutes of NPR by turning the vent to the venting position.
- RICE: I have used Basmati Rice, but any long-grain rice or brown rice will work for the recipe. For cooking white rice you need 1:1 rice and water proportion water and for brown rice, you can use 1:2.25 ratio.
- ENCHILADA SAUCE: No Enchilada Rice is complete without a good enchilada sauce. I have added Trader Joe's Enchilada Sauce; you can use your favorite one for the recipe or make your own at home.
- VEGGIES: I have used onions, red and green bell peppers, corns, beans, and jalapenos in the dish. You can use your favorite colorful veggies.
- SPICES: I have used cumin powder and taco seasoning. Though these are not required, they give a nice flavor.
- CHEESE: I have added Mexican Cheese, but you can also add Vegan Cheese or any other cheese you feel like adding.
- BEANS: All Mexican dishes have black beans in them. But you can also use chickpeas instead. You can also add any other source of protein.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT
Step 1- Saute: The first step for making instant pot enchilada rice is to saute the veggies (onions & bell peppers) until they are soft and tender and not brown in color. The color of these veggies should not be changed.
Step 2- Add all the Ingredients: The next step in making the enchilada rice recipe is to add the rest of the ingredients one by one, and the key is not to mix them. As sometimes, if you mix ingredients, you might get Burn notice.
Step 3 - Pressure Cook: Once you have added all the ingredients except cheese, close the lid, press the pressure cook button, and pressure cook. Pressure cook time depends on the rice you are using for this recipe. For white rice, you just need 5 minutes of cook time.
Step 4 - Cheese: Once all the pressure is released, then open the lid. Add cheese on top of the cooked rice and close the lid for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, the cheese will be melted. This is an instant recipe that can be made in under 30 minutes.
Step 5 - Adjust & Serve: The last and final step is to adjust the spices and then serve immediately with some veggies and chips.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Enchilada rice is incomplete without its special enchilada sauce. You can use red enchilada sauce or green enchilada sauce for making this easy recipe of instant pot enchilada rice. You can find both the variety os sauces in any store like target, amazon, etc. But my personal favorite is Trader Joe's Red Enchilada Sauce. Nothing beats of of trader joe's sauce.
You can serve the rice with some of your roasted veggies as a side. Or you can also serve them in an enchilada rice bowl topped with some lettuce, avocados, jalapeno, and our cream. You can also serve this instant Pot recipe of rice in a burrito too.
You can store it in an airtight container for 3-5 days in the refrigerator. Or you can also store in freezer-safe bags like Ziplocs or in containers for 1-2 months. When reusing, defrost the rice overnight in the refrigerator and heat it as needed. You can also serve leftover rice with some tortilla chips, and that combination tastes amazing.
Yeah, you can make this recipe vegan by replacing the regular cheese with some Vegan Cheese. Or you can also add some Vegan Cheese Sauce using cashews, potatoes, and nutritional yeast as the main ingredient.
🥗OTHER SIMILAR RECIPES
Instant Pot Enchilada Rice
- 2 cups Rice
- 1 can Black Beans
- 2 Jalapenos de-seeded & sliced
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 cup Sweet Corns
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp Taco Seasoning chopped
- 1 cup Enchilada sauce
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 cup Mexican Cheese or any other cheese
- 1 Avocado sliced
- ¼ cup Cilantro (to garnish)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 cups Water
- Add oil to Instant Pot and press the Saute button. And once hot, add onion and red bell pepper. Let it saute for 1-2 mins till they turn tender and soft.
- Add rinsed rice and add water to the pot.
- Add all ingredients including black beans, sweet corns, sliced jalapenos, garlic, taco seasoning, enchilada sauce, salt, cumin powder.(Note: Remember: not to mix anything)
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and press manual or pressure cook button and set a timer for 5 mins, with pressure valve in sealing position.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 5 mins and then do a quick release by turning the pressure valve to the venting position.
- When the pressure is released and it is safe to open the lid, lift the lid and add Vegan/Mexican Cheese to it. Cover the pot with the lid and let the cheese melt when the pot is still hot. The cheese will melt in about 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and stir the melted cheese with the cooked rice and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with Sliced Avocado or some guacamole. You can also enjoy them with some tortillas.