These sweet & spicy Gochujang Honey Glazed Carrots are perfect to go as a side dish or as a snack. You can cook them in the oven if you want them a little roasted or charred. Or you can also make them in Instant Pot in less than 20 minutes. This dish is made by combining carrots with butter, honey, and gochujang sauce.
This recipe is a little different from the usual glazed carrots as it has gochujang sauce which makes it a little spicy. But when the sauce is mixed with honey, it will not make carrots too spicy but will give a little spark in the recipe.
Being Indian, I like food that has lots of flavor in it so I keep experimenting with different spices and sauces. I like carrots and am a fan of Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots. So I thought it's time to do experiment with some flavors in the recipe. And we just loved it, it is still sweet but has the spark that comes from the sauce.
GOCHUJANG HONEY GLAZED CARROTS
- CARROTS: You can use any baby or young carrots. I personally like multi-color carrots. They give a vibrant & colorful feel to the recipe.
- HONEY: I like adding honey to the recipe. You can also add maple syrup or brown sugar.
- BUTTER: You can use oil too but the recipe tastes better with butter. It gives a rich flavor to the recipe.
- GOCHUJANG SAUCE: Gochujang Sauce is a bit spicy. I like to add it to the tofu. Adding it to Carrots gives a little spicy flavor. I balance the spiciness by adding honey.
HOW TO MAKE GLAZED CARROTS IN OVEN
STEP 1 - CUT THE CARROT: You can add carrot whole or you can cut them half. You can add any carrots that you like but multi-color Y-shaped carrots work best in this recipe.
STEP 2 - MAKE THE SYRUP: Make the syrup by adding melted butter with honey and gochujang sauce.
STEP 3 - DRIZZLE SAUCE & BAKE: Drizzle half the sauce over the carrots and bake until soft & tender.
STEP 4 - ADJUST & SERVE: Once the carrots are baked, drizzle leftover sauce and mix and serve hot.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What other add-ins can you add to your Honey Glazed carrots?
These carrots are so versatile that you can add almost anything to them. They taste great with some toasted nuts. You can also add other ingredients like turnip, parsnip, radish, etc.
Can we make Gochujang Honey Glazed Carrots beforehand?
Yes, you can make the carrots 2-3 days prior and store them in an airtight container. Before consuming, just heat them in the microwave or in the oven until properly heated.
What can you substitute honey with?
I like honey flavor in my glazed carrots. But if you want it vegan or don't like the flavor just replace it with brown sugar. Either way, these glazed carrots taste amazing.
Gochujang Honey Glazed Carrots
HOW TO MAKE GLAZED CARROT IN THE OVEN:
- Preheat oven at 350°F for 15-20 minutes and line a parchment paper or spray oil in the baking sheet. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan then whisk honey and gochujang sauce until well combined.
- Place the carrots in the baking sheet. Sprinkle Salt & Pepper and drizzle half of the syrup on the carrots and toss them to coat evenly. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Check the carrots in middles and flip them for even cooking. Carrots should be fork tender. Garnish with some fresh herbs.
HOW TO MAKE GLAZED CARROT IN THE INSTANT POT:
- Add carrots in the Instant Pot along with 1 cup of water and close the lid. With the vent in the sealing position, pressure cook for 2 minutes.(Note: If you want crispier carrots, pressure cook for 2 minutes, If you want tender & soft carrot, pressure cook for 3 minutes).
- Once the timer beeps then do Quick Release by turning the vent in the sealing position. Once pressure is released then open the lid. Add butter, salt, pepper, honey, and gochujang sauce and stir until well combined and saute for 1-2 minutes. Transfer the carrots in a bowl and garnish with some fresh herbs.