Kimchi Fried Rice is one of the simplest rice recipes that use Korean Kimchi. Kimchi adds a spicy flavor to the rice, the extra flavor comes with Kimchi juice. The trick is in the combination of its ingredients which make it one of the yummiest rice dishes ever.
I'm always on a lookout to try new rice recipes. And because kimchi fried rice uses kimchi in it, so I was eager to try it. The best flavor of the recipe comes from Kimchi obviously. But I do add some other ingredients to make the dish more flavorful.
I enjoy eating fried rice a lot. It goes really well with Gobhi Manchurian, Teriyaki Cauliflower, Manchurian, Kung Pao Cauliflower, and such dishes. So whenever I get a chance, I try to make it, especially during weekends.
WHAT IS KIMCHI?
Kimchi is a staple in Korean cuisine and is a famous traditional side-dish of salted & fermented vegetables. Popular Kimchi is made using Napa Cabbage and Korean Raddish along with a wide selection of seasonings like chili powder, garlic, spring onions, cilantro, etc.
There are many varieties of kimchi available, but the one I like is made by using Napa Cabbage for Kimchi Fried Rice.
KIMCHI FRIED RICE
Kimchi Fried rice is one of the most popular Korean recipes that I enjoy. Korean Restaurants serve them with an egg that is fried sunny side up. This not only tastes good but looks good too. I try to make them for a weekend breakfast so that everyone can enjoy them.
The best part about fried rice is you can add anything in the dish and it tastes great every time. But I like having rice with only Kimchi in it.
Authentically, this recipe is made using leftover rice, as the dish needs to have a thick texture and not be soft & lumpy. But to make the recipe quick, I use my Instant Pot.
HOW TO MAKE KIMCHI FRIED RICE ON STOVE-TOP
As I mentioned earlier I don't use a whole lot of ingredients. The fewer ingredients you add, the dish will turn out more flavorful & aromatic.
For Kimchi Fried Rice, it's best to strain the juice from Kimchi and add it to the dish at the end. It gives a strong flavor to the dish. This liquid is just the moisture content from the napa cabbage and other vegetables.
I start by first frying sliced onions in the wok on stove-top. Once fried, then I add ½ cup of Kimchi in it and fry for 3-4 minutes. Then add leftover rice in the sauce along with soya sauce, green onions, and salt and mix. Once combined, add Kimchi Juice in the rice and combine it well.
KIMCHI FRIED RICE INGREDIENTS
- RICE: Just like any other fried rice, you'll need leftover rice. You can also make using freshly cooked rice but tastes better with leftover ones.
- VEGGIES: As this is fried rice so you need to saute onions, bell peppers, carrots, and cabbage. You can eliminate cabbage as kimchi is made of napa cabbage and you are gonna add that later in the recipe.
- SAUCES: I have used soya sauce, vinegar, red hot sauce in the recipe.
- KIMCHI: You can use homemade or store-bought kimchi in the recipe at the end. I have made homemade kimchi using easy to follow instructions.
- GREEN ONIONS: Lastly you'll need green onions for the garnish.
HOW TO MAKE KIMCHI FRIED RICE
STEP 1 - SAUTE VEGGIES: Saute onions, bell pepper, and carrots in wok until soft & tender. Just want veggies to be tender and not fully cooked or burnt.
STEP 2 - ADD SAUCES: Once veggies are cooked, the next step is to add the sauces. I usually add soy sauce, vinegar, and hot red sauce (for color). Don't add too much sauce as the main flavor comes from Kimchi.
STEP 3 - ADD RICE: Add rice (cooked & leftover or uncooked). You can cook rice by pressure cooking in Instant Pot with rest of the ingredients.
STEP 4 - ADD KIMCHI: Add kimchi along with it's juice in rice and stir until well combined. Lastly garnish with some sliced green onions.
STEP 5 - ADJUST & SERVE: Last adjust the seasoning (if needed) and serve with an egg that is fried sunny side up
- STEAMED BAO BUNS
- PINEAPPLE FRIED RICE
- CHILI GARLIC NOODLES
- SINGAPORE NOODLES
- SESAME NOODLES
- THAI CURRY NOODLES
KIMCHI FRIED RICE
HOW TO MAKE KIMCHI FRIED RICE IN AN INSTANT POT
- Press Saute and add oil to the inner pot of Instant Pot. When the oil is hot, add onions & bell pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes until they are soft & tender.
- Now add chopped garlic and soy sauce to the pot and cook for 1 minute. Add Rice, Water, Salt & Pepper to the pot and cancel Saute.
- With vent in the sealing position, pressure cook for 4 minutes. When the timer beeps, NPR (No Pressure Release) for 10 minutes and then do Quick Release.
- When the valve goes down and pressure is released, open lid. Stir in Kimchi and mix properly.
- Finally, add the Kimchi juice and mix until properly combined and garnish with Cilantro & Green Onions.
HOW TO MAKE KIMCHI FRIED RICE ON STOVE-TOP USING LEFTOVER RICE
- Add oil in the wok at medium-heat. When oil is hot add onion & bell pepper and cook until soft & tender.
- Now add chopped garlic and soy sauce to the pot and cook for 1 minute. Then add leftover rice along with salt and stir until combined properly.
- Then add Kimchi and juice in the fried rice and mix until everything is combined well. Transfer in a bowl and garnish with cilantro & green onions & serve.