Instant Khaman Dhokla is a savory cake that is steamed and is light, soft & fluffy. This is a healthy anytime snack that can be made in under 30 minutes in an Instant Pot. This is made with Gram Flour & Spices along with some tempering.
I usually prefer Instant Khaman Dhokla for breakfast or as a quick evening snack. When I want something quick & easy and also different, Dhokla is always my go-to recipe.
When I was a kid, my Mom often served Instant Khaman Dhokla at small parties and get-togethers. I have tried making Dhokla from scratch using my Mom's Pro tips and those tips really make a difference.
This is a steamed savory cake so you can either make it in a stove-top steamer or using the Steam setting of an Instant Pot. Making in Instant Pot is much easier as it reduces the effort by just half.
TYPES OF DHOKLA
There are many varieties of Dhokla available and I'll list the most popular ones:
- Instant Khaman Dhokla: This is an instant Dhokla that can be made in minutes. This is made by steaming the batter of gram flour, semolina, turmeric, fruit salt, a pinch of sugar, and then topped with some tempering.
- Sooji/ Rava Dhokla: This is also a variety of Instant Dhokla and is white in color. This is made using Rava/Sooji, Fruit Salt, Hung Curd, Ginger, and topped with tempering. This is great for weight watchers as it keeps you full for a longer time and is healthy too.
- Chana Dal Dhokla: This is made with a combination of Channa Dal & Yogurt. This is made by fermenting the batter overnight.
- Sandwich Dhokla: This is another popular dhokla made by stacking Instant Khaman Dhokla over Rava Dhokla and adding Chutney between the layers.
- There are many other options available like Spinach Instant Dhokla, Mixed Dal Dhokla, Rice Dhokla, Pav Bhaji Dhokla, Cheese Dhokla, and many more.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT KHAMAN DHOKLA
Step 1: First I add all the dry ingredients (Gram Flour, Semolina, Turmeric, Salt, and Sugar in a bowl and keep it aside. I have used Gram Flour and not Chickpea Flour, sometimes people get confused between Gram Flour & Chickpea Flour. Always use Gram Flour when making Dhokla.
Pro Tip: I first sift Gram Flour before adding to the bowl with other ingredients. This will helps in combining the batter properly as the flour will be fine.
Step 2: Then I mix all the wet ingredients (water, ginger- garlic, green chilies, and lemon juice) slowly until the batter is combined well. The batter should not be too thick or too watery. It should be of medium consistency.
Pro Tip: I always whisk the batter in the same direction (either clockwise or anti-clockwise). I beat batter a couple of times to incorporate the air which in turn helps in making Dhokla light & fluffy.
Step 3: Add Water in the inner pot of the Instant Pot and keep sauteing until the water boils. Water should be at boiling temperature when you add batter to steam.
Step 4: When water starts to boil, I add Eno/Fruit Salt in the batter and stir until it's foamy & bubbly. Then transfer the batter to a springform pan.
Step 5: Place Trivet in the Instant Pot and place Springform Pan over the trivet and close lid. Steam the batter for 15-20 minutes.
Pro Tip: When making Dhokla, always steam with the vent in the venting position. When the vent is in the venting position, Instant Pot timer will not work so use any external timer while steaming.
Step 6: When the timer beeps, take the springform pan out. Allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes. Insert the knife around the edges to loosen the dhokla from the side. Flip it over a plate. Cut the Dhokla into square or rectangle shapes.
7. TRANSFER IN A PLATE 8. CUT IN SQUARE SHAPES
Step 7: The next step is to make tempering that you add on top of the steamed Dhokla. Add Oil in the instant and press saute. Add Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds in the pot. When they splutter, add Curry Leaves, Green Chilies, Asoefitida, Lemon juice, and Water and let it boil.
Step 8: Once it boils add the prepared tempering on the steamed Dhokla. You can also top it with some chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut powder.
Store: You can store leftover Dhokla in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Dhokla tastes best when chilled.
- SABUDANA KHICHDI
- STUFFED BREAD PAKORA
- METHI THEPLA
- ALOO TIKKI
- SPROUTED GREEN LENTILS
- MEXICAN STREET CORNS
📖 RECIPE CARD
INSTANT KHAMAN DHOKLA
For Khaman Dhokla:
- 2 tablespoon Cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon Coconut grated
- In a mixing bowl, first add all the dry ingredients (sifted Gram Flour, Semolina, Turmeric Powder, Salt, Sugar, and Citric Acid).
- Add all the wet ingredients (water, ginger paste, green chili) and whisk until combined well. The batter should not be too thick or too watery. It should be of medium consistency.(Note: I always whisk the batter in the same direction (either clockwise or anti-clockwise). I beat batter a couple of times to incorporate the air which in turn helps in making Dhokla light & fluffy).
- Meanwhile, oil the springform pan or any other pan you use to make the Dhokla.
- Add 1-2 cups of water in the inner pot of the Instant Po and press Saute. When water starts to boil then add Fruit Salt/Eno in the batter and stir until combined.(Note: Always add Fruit Salt/Eno after water boils or when you're about to insert pan in the Instant Pot, otherwise dhokla will not turn fluffy).
- Transfer the batter in the Springform Pan and place trivet in the Instant Pot.
- Place Springform Pan over the trivet in the Instant pot and close lid. Remove the sealing ring from the lid.
- With the vent in the venting position, steam for 15-20 minutes using Steam setting of Instant Pot.(Note: When you steam at venting position, internal timer will not work. So it is better to use an external timer).
- When the timer beeps, let it sit for 5 more minutes and then open the lid. Take the Springform pan out, insert the knife around the edges to loosen the Dhokla from the side. Transfer the dhokla in a plate and keep it aside.
- Clean Instant Pot and oil in the pot. Press Saute and add Mustard Seeds, when they start to splutter then add cumin seeds. Add curry leaves and other ingredients (Water, Sugar, Green Chilies, Lemon juice, and Asafoetida), cook for 1-2 minutes until it boils.