Spiced Apple Cider is the best drink to stay warm in cold weather. It is made by pressure cooking oranges, apples, lemons, cinnamon, cloves, and star anise.
When I moved to America, the first winters were horrible for me. The only comforting thing I remember was Spiced Apple Cider. First time I bought it from the local neighborhood market. I found it so great I brought home there freshly pressed Apple Cider and Mulled Spices.
From then it's been our tradition to enjoy the holiday season with Spiced Apple Cider. I don't think there would be anyone that doesn't like the taste of this amazing Spiced Apple Cider.
I have seen many make Apple Cider in Crockpot or on the stove. But being totally in love with my Instant Pot, I thought to try the recipe in Instant pot. And it was worth it. When you add some sweet & tangy fruits with aromatic spices, all the flavors get infused.
SPICED APPLE CIDER INGREDIENTS
- APPLES: You can make with any variety of Apples. I use the combination of apples: Granny Smith, Gala, and Honey Crisp. Granny Smith gives a little tart flavor to the cider, with the other two gives sweetness and color to the cider.
- CRANBERRIES: Cranberries not only add beautiful color to the cider but also provides a tangy flavor to the drink. Cranberry goes so well as an add-on in the spiced apple cider.
- ORANGE & LEMON: For more tangy flavor, I like adding orange and lemon. But the peel can make the cider bitter. So when adding them to Instant Pot, I use peeled orange slices and peel the lemon.
- FLAVORINGS: I add cinnamon, cloves, and star anise to the cider. Adding these spices makes cider aromatic and makes the dish so iconic.
HOW TO MAKE IN INSTANT POT
STEP 1 - ADD INGREDIENTS: Add fruits and spices with water in the instant pot. You can slice the fruits or cut them into cubes and add them in the instant pot.
STEP 2 - PRESSURE COOK: Next close the lid and pressure cook for 10 minutes and then Quick Release after 10 minutes.
STEP 3 - STRAIN: Once pressure is released then open the lid. Strain the fruits and spices using a colander or a strainer.
STEP 4 - ADJUST & SERVE: Adjust the flavors (if needed) then serve hot and enjoy!
Spiced Apple Cider
- Add apples to the inner pot of Instant Pot. I have added Granny Smith, Gala, and Honey Crisp Apples for tart and sweet flavor.
- Then add Orange, Cranberries, Ginger, Cinnamon, Star Anise, and Cloves to it. Then add sugar (as needed) with water.
- Note: Add water till all fruits and spices are submerged.
- Close lid and HIGH pressure cook for 10 minutes. When timer beeps, let pressure release naturally (NPR) or Quick Release after 10 minutes.
- After pressure is released and it is safe to open the lid, fish out the spices and strain the cider using a mesh strainer. And serve it hot or cold.
- Place Apples, Orange, Cranberries, Ginger, Cinnamon, Star Anise, and Cloves to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. Take the spices out and serve.