Grab a bowl and get ready to make our new nourishing & comforting dish. Vegan Jambalaya is a one-pot meal and because of its aromatic spices, it's loved by many. This is made by combining tomatoes, onions, celery, carrots, bell peppers, rice, and Cajun seasoning.
To make this dish Vegan/Vegetarian, you can replace meat with Vegan Sausage, Soya Nuggets, or grilled Jackfruit.
This is one of those dishes that is not only bright in flavors but also very colorful. It's very aromatic & colorful and also very easy to make in an Instant Pot. And who doesn't like an easy meal, right? With the Instant Pot, the cooking process gets real quick. All you need is some veggies with spices and you have Vegan Jambalaya in less than 30 minutes.
VEGAN JAMBALAYA INGREDIENTS
- VEGGIES: Some bright & colorful veggies look great in Vegan Jambalaya. I usually add onions, bell peppers, carrots, celery, etc in the recipe.
- SEASONING: You can add store-bought Cajun Seasoning or make it at home with easy to follow instructions.
- BEANS: You can add Kidney Beans or Black Beans to taste even better. You can also any other beans like chickpeas or lentils to make it healthier.
- RICE: I have used white rice to make the jambalaya. You can also use brown rice or even cauliflower rice, though time may differ.
- SAUCES: I have added some soy sauce & hot sauce to the recipe.
- LIQUID: You can make Jambalaya by adding water or broth to the recipe. But when made with broth, Jambalaya will turn more flavorful.
- GARNISH: Garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro leaves.
WHAT SPICES TO USE
If you want an easy recipe, it's best to use one seasoning as compared to adding a whole lot of spices. You can get store-bought Cajun Seasoning or make your own. I have mentioned the recipe below to make Homemade Cajun Seasoning.
There are many options available for Cajun Seasoning, but I find organic ones better. Some have MSG in it, but Organic Cajun Seasoning doesn't contain MSG.
HOW TO MAKE ON STOVE-TOP
Add onions, celery, bell pepper, and carrots in the pan on the stove-top and saute. Once they are partially cooked, add rice to the pan. Let it saute for 1-2 minutes. Then add tomatoes, kidney beans, and water and cover the pan. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and continue to cook for 12-15 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked. Keep stirring in between so that rice doesn't stick at the bottom.
Garnish with chopped Parsley Leaves and enjoy your bowl full of Vegan Jambalaya. You can also add Vegan Sausage, Soya Nuggets, or Grilled Jackfruits in the pan.
- KIMCHI FRIED RICE
- STUFFED OMELET
- CILANTRO-JALAPENO HUMMUS
- SWEET POTATO & LENTILS CURRY
- POMEGRANATE RICE PILAF
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper de-seeded & diced
- 3 ribs Celery diced
- 2 Carrots diced
- 2-3 pods Garlic minced
- 2 cups White Rice long-grained
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes drained
- 2 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning homemade or store-bought
- 2 cups Water/Broth
- 2 tablespoon Soya Sauce
- 1-2 tablespoon Hot Sauce
- 1 can Kidney Beans drained & washed
- Salt & Pepper
- Parsley (to Garnish)
- In a small bowl, whisk all ingredients together. Or, combine in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake to combine. Store covered at room temperature.
- Add oil in the inner pot of Instant Pot and press saute. When the oil is hot, add Bay Leaves & Onion. Fry onions till they turn brown in color. Then add celery, carrots, and bell peppers and continue to cook till they turn soft,
- Fold in garlic with the veggies and cook for 1 minute. Add Rice and mix with veggies and keep toasting for 1-2 minutes. Then add canned Tomatoes, Cajun Seasoning, Kidney Beans, Soya Sauce, Hot Sauce, Water or Broth, and Salt & Peper.
- Close lid and pressure cook with a vent in the sealing position for 4 minutes. When timer beeps, NPR (No pressure Release) for 10 minutes and then Quick Release by turning the vent to the venting position.
- When steam is released and valve goes down, open the lid. Fluff the rice using fork and asjust the seasoning. Garnish with chopped Parley & serve.