Mango Rice Pudding (Mango Kheer) is an interesting twist to the authentic Indian rice pudding recipe. It is made by combining mango puree with rice pudding along with some chopped nuts. This recipe is as easy as it is delicious.
Being in the season and most loved fruit, I thought of making rice pudding (Kheer) and have it with Mangoes. Mangoes have such a unique flavor that they go perfectly in any dessert or pudding. Not only flavor but mangoes' vibrant color also goes great with any Indian dessert.
Rice pudding is usually made using milk. But to make it Vegan, you can make it with Coconut Milk which also helps in giving creamy texture. This dish is delicious and yummy and your whole family will love it. Even if you make it in extra quantity, it will still get over soon. You won't have to keep it in your refrigerator as a leftover for long.
If you like pudding, then do try my Sabudana/Tapioca Pudding (Sabudana ki Kheer).
This is a very easy recipe and you can change it as per your taste and preference. You can make it Vegan by adding Coconut Milk or any other Vegan Milk. You can add any nuts that you like, I usually add almonds, raisins, and pistachios. For extra flavoring, I have topped the pudding with some fresh berries.
INGREDIENTS THAT YOU'LL NEED
- RICE: You can make this recipe with white rice or brown rice. But long-grain white rice goes great in the recipe. I have used Basmati Rice for making Mango Rice pudding.
- MILK: I have used regular Whole Milk in the recipe. Whole milk will give a creamy texture. For making Vegan Kheer, you can use coconut milk or any Vegan Milk.
- ALMOND FLOUR: I have used almond flour to make it creamier. You can use almond flour/ coconut flour in the recipe. Or you can also use ½ cup of Condensed Milk.
- SUGAR: As I have used extra sweet mangoes, so I haven't used much sugar. You can adjust the sweetness as per your taste. You can use Sugar, or Sweetener, Or Honey, or Maple Syrup in the recipe.
- NUTS: For a little crunch in the recipe, I have used some chopped nuts like almonds, cashews, and raisins.
- FLAVORING: I have used mango flavoring by pureeing the mangoes. You can use any flavoring like strawberries, etc.
- GARNISH: I have garnished with some fresh berries and mint leaves. You can add bananas or apples or any fruits to garnish the rice pudding.
WHICH MANGOES TO CHOOSE
For Mango Rice Pudding (Aam ki Kheer/Mango Kheer), select the sweetest mangoes. You can use any mango but make sure they are perfectly ripened and are sweet. For this Mango Rice Pudding, I have used Texas Mangoes as they are extremely sweet & juicy.
How to know if Mangoes are ripe? Just like any other fruit (peaches, or avocados) if you press it gently, you can feel the soft texture. You won't be able to press the raw mangoes as the skin will be hard. Also in ripe mangoes, you can smell the aroma from their stem ends. When you get a fruit smell from the stem ends then it means its a ripened mango.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What Rice to use for making Mango Rice Pudding?
You can use any rice for making the pudding, but timing may differ. I have used Basmati Rice for making Mango Rice Pudding and it came out. great. Usually, it is made of short-grained white rice but you can make with any rice available in your pantry. You can make with basmati rice, short-grained white rice, brown rice, and even with quinoa.
Can we store Kheer in Freezer?
Yes, we can store the leftover in the freezer in an airtight container. Or you can also store it in individual cups (storage cups) so that when you want to eat it, you need to heat up only one container at one time. Because if keep reheating and freezing the pudding, it may get spoiled. So I recommend if you reheat the frozen pudding then do not freeze it again and finish it as soon as possible.
How to Serve Rice Pudding: Hot or Cold?
Mango Rice Pudding can be served hot or cold. Both ways it tastes so good that it gets finished quickly. You can serve it hot once you make it and store the leftover in the refrigerator. Serve the leftover rice pudding cold with lots of nuts and fruits. Or you can serve as per the season. For winter, serve the pudding hot and in summer serve it cold.
Is Mango Rice Pudding (Mango Kheer) Healthy?
Mango Rice Pudding is a sweet dessert and hence not so healthy as compared to other healthier options. But I tried to make it healthy compared to other rice puddings. As I have used Mango in the pudding, I reduced the sugar in the recipe. Also instead of Condensed Milk, I have used Almond Flour to make the pudding creamy. And it has lots of nuts and fruits that make it tastes great.
HOW TO STORE MANGO RICE PUDDING
You can store leftover rice pudding in the refrigerator for 3-5 days or you can also store in the freezer. Storing in the freezer will last long so you can store for 1-2 months. When re-using, defrost the pudding. And serve hot or cold.
Mango Rice Pudding (Mango Kheer)
- 1 Mango
- ½ cups Rice rinsed
- 5 cups Milk Whole Milk, 2% or Coconut Milk, or any Vegan Milk
- ½ cups Sugar or Sweetener or Honey or Agave Syrup
- 5-6 Green Cardamoms powdered
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds powdered
- few strands Saffron
- 1-2 tablespoon Almond Flour or ¼ cup of Condensed Milk
- ¼ cup Nuts chopped (Cashews, Almonds, Pistachios, & Raisins)
- ⅓ cup Fruits (Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, Bananas, etc).
Mango Puree for Mango Kheer:
- Remove the peel of mango and cut the mango by slicing it and discard the seed. Add the mango slices in the grinder and grind until pureed. Transfer in a bowl and keep it aside.
How to Make Rice Pudding in Instant Pot:
- Add rice in the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Then add milk and sugar and give it a quick stir. Then sprinkle cardamom seeds powder, fennel seeds powder, and saffron and close the lid.
- With the vent in the sealing position, pressure cook for 20 minutes using Porridge setting of Instant Pot at High-Pressure Level. When the timer beeps, let pressure release naturally (NPR).
- When the pressure is released then open the lid. Press Saute and add almond flour/ condensed milk to make the pudding thicker. Cook for 2-3 minutes till you get the desired consistency. You can serve it hot or cold.
How to make Kheer (Rice Pudding) on Stove-Top:
- Add milk in the pan at medium-low heat and bring it to boil. Keep stirring at intervals so that the milk won't stick at the bottom.(Note: Take a heavy-bottomed pan for making kheer, that way milk will not stick at the bottom of the pan).
- Saffron Milk: Take 2-3 tablespoon of milk and add a few saffron strands in it and keep it aside.
- Once the milk comes to boil then add the rinsed rice. Before adding rice in the milk, strain all the water form the rice.
- Simmer at low-heat until half of the rice is cooked. Then add sugar as needed and give it a stir. Continue to cook until the rice is cooked and you get the desired consistency. You can also add almond flour/ condensed milk to make the pudding creamier.
- Lastly, add cardamon seeds powder and fennel seeds powder and saffron milk in it. Give on last stir and switch off the flame. You can serve it hot or cold.
Mango Rice Pudding (Mango Kheer):
- Let the rice pudding cool down to room temperature. In a dessert bowl, add 1-2 tablespoon of mango puree. Then layer it with rice pudding and fill it till the top. then add some chopped nuts and lastly finish with some fresh berries or fruits. And garnish with some mint leaves and serve.