Pineapple Fried Rice is a great dish to have on a busy weeknight or on a lazy weekend. This is one dish that you need to enjoy by itself without any side-dish as it is loaded with crunchy vegetables & juicy pineapple. The fruity & juicy flavor of this Thai dish makes this recipe so unique.
There are very few rice recipes that I like to enjoy without any side-dishes. Pineapple Fried Rice is definitely one of those. The empowering flavor of pineapple pieces makes this dish so unique.
This is such an easy recipe that you can make in an instant pot and on stove-top. Best flavors pop-up when you make using some leftover rice. This is my family's favorite dinner and is so good that it is better than store-bought fried.
PINEAPPLE FRIED RICE INGREDIENTS
- RICE: Authentically, it is made using Jasmine Rice but any long-grain rice works in the recipe. It tastes great if made with some leftover rice (1 or 2 days old stored in the refrigerator).
- OIL: I use a combination of Olive Oil & Sesame Oil. This combination gives great flavor. Sometimes I also like to add Chili Oil.
- PINEAPPLE: You can use fresh pineapple or canned pineapple pieces. I like fresh pineapple more as it is free of any preservatives. I used ½ pineapple for making this recipe. If using the canned ones, first drain the pineapple from the juice. Always use the juice ones not the syrup one.
- VEGGIES: I add lots of veggies in the recipe. It makes Fried Rice more colorful. I have added diced Onions, Bell Peppers, Carrots, Cabbage, Peas, etc. Basically any veggie you like, you can add in the rice.
- GINGER: I have added ½ teaspoon of grated ginger in the recipe or you can also add 1.2 teaspoon of Ginger Powder.
- GARLIC: I have added around 4-5 cloves of garlic.
- CURRY POWDER: Some people use it some don't. It gives a nice aromatic flavor to the rice. But even without any Curry Powder, these fried rice will taste great.
- SAUCES: I have used some Soy Sauce, Rice Vinegar, and some Red Chili Sauce. If you like, you can add Oyster Sauce too.
WHAT RICE TO USE FOR MAKING PINEAPPLE FRIED RICE
Basically, you can make these Fried Rice with any variety of rice. But it tastes great with Jasmine Rice. Depending upon availability, you can use any long-grain rice. You can use Basmati Rice or Jasmine Rice or long -grain White Rice.
HOW TO CHOOSE WHICH PINEAPPLE TO USE
- Choose a pineapple that looks fresh and has green leaves and looks firm, but you can still easily press it.
- When trying to tear the middle leaf of pineapple, you should be able able to do it without applying much pressure.
- You can smell a distinctive pineapple flavor when you put your nose close to the bottom of the pineapple.
- Also when you hold it, if it feels heavy than its size that means that the pineapple is juicier.
To know about how to select the Pineapple CLICK HERE.
STORING PINEAPPLE FRIED RICE
Refrigerate: You can store Pineapple Fried Rice in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. The flavors will be more enhanced and meal-prep will be easier. When re-using, microwave for a couple of minutes or cook in a pan. Just splash a few drops of water so that rice won't get too dry.
Freeze: You can freeze it for 1-2 months as it is vegetarian, but if you have added some Meat then store for lesser time.
Pineapple Fried Rice
Instant Pot Cooking:
- Press Saute and add Oil in the Instant Pot. When the oil is hot, add onions. Let them saute for 2-3 minutes until they start to change color. Then add Bell Pepper & Cabbage and continue to saute till they turn tender. And lastly, add Ginger & Garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Cancel Saute and add all the sauces with the veggies and mix. Add Rice & Water along with Salt and close the lid. Pressure cook for 4 minutes at HIGH pressure level.
- When timer beeps, NPR (no pressure release) for 10 minutes and then Quick Release. When pressure is released, open the lid. Fluff the rice and stir in pineapple pieces gently.
- Garnish with some Green Onion and enjoy!
- Pressure Cook Rice in an Instant Pot or a Stove-Top pressure cooker and set it aside.
- Add oil in the Wok at medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add Onion and keep sauteing till they change color. Then add Bell Pepper & Cabbage and keep cooking till they turn tender.
- (Note: You can add Pineapple pieces too at this time, gives a nice charred color to the pineapple pieces and they taste even sweeter.)
- Add Ginger & Garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Mix in the sauces & salt with the veggies and cook for 1 minute. Then add leftover or boiled Rice and combine everything well. if you haven't added pineapple with the veggies then you can add them at this time.
- Garnish with some Green Onion and enjoy!