Ram Ladoo is a perfect winter street food that is served over some grated radish & special green chutney. It is made with the combination of moong dal, channa dal, and urad dal with some grated ginger & green chilis.
Ram Ladoo are very popular among street food lovers in Delhi. These hot fritters are served over cold radish salad and paired with some green chutney. They are basically a dried version of Dahi Bhalla / Dahi Wada.
Although I have spent most of my childhood in Delhi, I have never eaten them. Recently my husband asked me to make them at home. So after some attempts & different variations, I finally came up with the recipe we like the most. It is crunchy from the outside but soft on the inside.
RAM LADOO INGREDIENTS
- LENTILS: You can use any lentils for these fritters like moong dal, urad dal, or chana dal. But I have used the combination of these three lentils for making Ram Ladoo.
- RADISH: I have used a combination of white & red radish and made a salad of it. Any radish will work for the salad. Grate the radish and mix with ginger, green chilis, and grated carrot for the salad.
- GREEN CHUTNEY: This is another main ingredient. Ram Ladoo is incomplete without its special green chutney. The magic ingredient for this chutney is radish leaves. It s made with cilantro, mint, and radish leaves along with some green chilis and spices.
- GARNISH: You can garnish with some other chutney like Tamarind Chutney. You can also garnish with some chopped cilantro, grated carrots & beets, and ginger.
HOW TO MAKE RAM LADOO
- SOAK THE LENTILS: The first step is to wash the lentils and then soak them for 4-6 hours or overnight. Or you can also soak the lentils in hot water for 2 hours.
- MAKE GREEN CHUTNEY: Make green chutney by grinding cilantro, mint, and radish leaves with some lemon juice, ginger, green chilis, and spices. Transfer it to a bowl and put it aside.
- MAKE THE BATTER: Drain the water from the lentils and grind them. Make the batter by grinding lentils and green chutney with some green chilis and ginger. Once done, transfer the batter to a bowl.
- WHISK THE BATTER: Whisk the batter for a couple of minutes. This will help in giving you airy batter.
- FRY THE FRITTERS: Add dollops of batter in hot oil and fry them until they are golden brown in color. Once fried, transfer the fritters on a paper towel to remove excess oil from them.
- MAKE SALAD: Make the salad by mixing grated radish, ginger, green chilis, spices, and lemon juice until combined properly.
- MAKE RAM LADOO: Add some fritters in a bowl and garnish with some salad and some green chutney. Serve and enjoy!
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What to do if my Ram Ladoo are not Crispy?
Usually adding any lentils will turn the fritters crispy. But if Ram Ladoo are not crispy enough, then you can add some Chana Dal. Chana Dal makes the texture of these fritters crispier and I have added that in the recipe.
What should be batter consistency?
The batter should not be too thick or too thin. When making the batter, add water only when needed & do not add a lot of water. But if the batter turns out too thin, you can add a few tablespoons of Besan or Chickpea Flour in the batter. If the batter is too dry then you can add a few drops of water to make the batter smooth.
How to store Ram Ladoo?
You can store the fritters in the refrigerator for 3-5 days in an air-tight container. You can also freeze Ram Ladoo in a freezer-safe container or in Ziploc bags. When reheating, you can air fry them for 7-8 minutes at 400 degrees or you can also re-fry them. You can also heat them in oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until hot.
- ALOO TIKKI
- STUFFED BREAD PAKORA
- PANEER TIKKA
- INSTANT KHAMAN DHOKLA
- PEANUT GAJAK/ CHIKKI
- INDIAN ROASTED CORNS
- SPROUTED GREEN LENTILS
📖 RECIPE CARD
- 1-2 bunches Cilantro rinsed
- ¼ cup Mint Leaves rinsed
- ⅓ cup Radish Leaves rinsed
- 6-8 Green Chilis or as needed
- 1-2 tablespoon Mango Powder or as needed
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 bunch Red Radish, grated or 2-3 medium sized White Radish, grated
- ¼ cup Cilantro finely chopped
- ½ inch Ginger grated
- 2-3 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup Moong Dal rinsed & Soaked for 3-4 hours
- ¼ cup Chana Dal rinsed & Soaked for 3-4 hours
- ¼ cup Urad Dal rinsed & Soaked for 3-4 hours
- 1 cup Water or as needed
- ½ inch Ginger
- 1-2 Green Chilis or as needed
- 2 tablespoon Green Chutney
HOW TO MAKE GREEN CHUTNEY FOR RAM LADOO
- Add all the ingredients of green chutney in Vitamix or any other grinder. Add water little by little and blend everything until smooth. Transfer the chutney in a bowl.
HOW TO MAKE RADISH SALAD FOR RAM LADOO
- Add all the ingredients of radish salad in a bowl and mix until well combined.
HOW TO MAKE RAM LADOO
- You can soak the lentils for 3-4 hours or overnight. Or you can also soak them for 1-2 hours in hot water. Once the soaking time is over, drain all the water out and add the lentils in blender.
- With the soaked lentils, add ginger, green chilis, salt & pepper in the blender. Grind the ingredient by adding little water until the ingredients are well blended and turned into a thick batter.(Note: Add water only if needed, the batter needs to be a ittle dry. If you add too much water then fritters will not fry properly).
- Transfer the batter to a mixing bowl and add green chutney to the batter. Whisk using a wooden spoon for 2-3 minutes until the batter is airy. (Note: Check the batter by adding a teaspoon of batter in a glass of water. If the batter stays on the top, that means the batter is ready. But if it sinks then you need to whisk the batter a little longer).
FRYING RAM LADOO
- FRYING PAN: Once the batter is ready, heat the oil in a Kadai or in a frying pan. When the oil is hot, and 4-5 dollops of batter and fry them until they are golden in color and both the sides are cooked well. You can also air-fry the fritters or cook in Appan Pan.AIR FRYER: Add 1-2 tablespoon of batter in each mold of silicone egg bite mold. Preheat air fryer at 400°F for 2-3 minutes. Inset silicone mold and air fry at 400°F for 6-8 minutes or until the fritters are golden brown in color. Flip the fritters and cook for another 3-4 minutes.APPAN PAN: Add a few drops of oil in each mold. Then add 1-2 tablespoon of batter in each mold. Let it cook at medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until the fritters are golden brown. Then using a spoon, flip the fritters and cook them for 1-2 minutes until both the sides are golden brown in color.
- Once fritters are fried, transfer them on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Repeat the process for rest of the batter.
SERVING RAM LADOO
- Add 4-5 fritters/ Ram Ladoo in a bowl and add some radish leaves on the top. Also add 1-2 tablespoon of green chutney & serve!