Spicy Black Bean Soup is the most satisfying meal for any day of the week. It is healthy & it can be made with just a handful of ingredients. You can make it with black beans, corn, some veggies, and spices.
I can enjoy this black bean soup with or without bread. It is filling and you can experiment with different spices. I like to keep it simple by adding just a few ingredients and the soup tastes amazing.
I was planning to post the recipe way earlier but I was not able to. So here I am with the recipe. It gave me the perfect excuse to enjoy the soup one last time before the season ends. I make a big batch of this soup so that it lasts for 1-2 days.
I really like soups a lot. Soup is a great option to have for lunch or dinner. And it also makes mealtime way easier. Everyone in my family loves soup and it saves me a lot of time.
SPICY BLACK BEAN SOUP INGREDIENTS
- BLACK BEANS: You can use canned beans or you can also boil the beans. I like to make everything from scratch so I have used dried beans and boiled them in the Instant Pot.
- CORNS: Corns go so perfectly with black beans. You can use fresh or frozen kernels. You can also grill them to have charred flavor in the soup.
- VEGGIES: I have used onions, celery, and carrots in the soup. You can also use some beans and bell peppers in the recipe.
- TOMATOES: I like using diced tomatoes in the soup as they bring nice color and flavor to the soup. But you can also use some fresh tomatoes with tomato paste in the soup.
- SPICES: I have used some Italian Seasoning, Chili Flakes, and Cumin Powder. But any other seasoning will work well in the recipe.
- GARNISH: I have garnished the soup with some sour cream, grilled corns, scallions, and cilantro.
HOW TO MAKE BLACK BEAN SOUP
- SOAK BLACK BEANS: Soak black beans overnight or for 6-8 hours. If using canned beans, skip this step. For detailed instruction on how to cook beans, CLICK HERE.
- SAUTE VEGGIES: Chop onions, celery, and carrot and saute until the veggies are tender. Then add diced tomatoes or chopped tomatoes & tomato paste.
- ADD SEASONING: Add the spices you want in the soup. I have added Italian Seasoning, Chili Flakes, and Cumin Powder.
- ADD BEANS: Put soaked black beans in the Instant Pot. Also, add water or stock with the beans.
- PRESSURE COOK: Pressure cook for 30 minutes at HIGH-pressure level. Once the pressure is released, then open the lid.
- GARNISH: Lastly, garnish with some grilled corns, sour cream / greek yogurt, and cilantro. Also, sprinkle some lemon juice in the soup.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is Black Bean Soup healthy?
Black Bean soup is high in fiber and protein. Black beans also help in lowering cholesterol. As they are high in fiber and protein so black beans help in keeping you full for a longer time. This helps in weight loss.
How to store the Soup?
Black Bean Soup stays good in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. To store the soup for a longer time you can freeze it. When the soup has completely cooled down, store in the freezer-safe bags or container and freeze them. For reusing, defrost the soup in the refrigerator overnight. And heat it in the microwave or on the stove-top until it is hot.
Spicy Black Bean Soup
- 4 tbsp Corns grilled
- 2 tbsp Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Scallion sliced
- 1 tbsp Cilantro
- Lemon Juice
- Wash the black beans properly until the water runs out clean. Then soak the black beans overnight or for at least 6-8 hours.
- Add oil to the Instant Pot and press saute. When the oil is hot then add onion, celery, and carrots and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and stir.
- Then add soaked black beans and stock. Lastly, add Italian Seasoning, Red Chili Flakes, and Cumin Powder. Mix all these ingredients.
- Close the lid and with the vent in the sealing position, pressure cook for 30 minutes at HIGH-pressure level. Let the pressure release naturally (NPR).
- When the steam is released and the valve comes down then open the lid. Stir and add more water or stock (if needed). Add corns and saute for 2-3 minutes.(Note: if you want a little thicker consistency, then take around 1 cup of soup and blend it. Add this blended puree to the soup. This will help in making soup thick.)
- Transfer the soup into a bowl and garnish with Greek Yogurt / Sour Cream, some grilled corns, scallions, cilantro. Sprinkle some lemon juice. Serve hot!