Sweet Potato & Chickpeas Hash is an easy & healthy breakfast that I and my family relish a lot. It is made by adding steamed/ baked sweet potato, flavored chickpeas, veggies, and sauces.
It's very hard to decide on what to have at breakfast because we don't eat eggs and do not like sweet recipes very much, and eating Indian recipes day-in & day-out gets boring. So I keep exploring and trying new recipes. I tried to make hash using a handful of ingredients. So I explored this recipe.
This recipe is not that hard as it looks. You can use fresh or canned products for making this recipe. I like to use everything fresh, so made chickpeas in Instant Pot and air-fried sweet potato.
I like slightly spicy food, just a little. For this recipe, I have made Buffalo flavored Chickpeas. In the sauces, I have added Sriracha for a little kick, it works amazingly in sweet potato as it is sweet in taste. So when Sriracha is added and combined with sweet potato, it balances the flavor.
SWEET POTATO & CHICKPEAS HASH INGREDIENTS
- CHICKPEAS: I have used chickpeas as they are protein-rich and tastes good in such recipes. You can boil them using raw chickpeas or can also use the canned ones. I have flavored the chickpeas with buffalo sauce to avoid their bland flavor. You can use any seasoning or sauce to flavor them.
- SWEET POTATO: I have used purple sweet potato as I like its color. But any sweet potato or yam will work just great. or if you like you can also use some fried potatoes too.
- VEGGIES: You can also add any veggies of your liking to make the hash healthier. I have used some onion, bell peppers, and carrots in the recipe.
- SAUCES: To balance the flavor and to compliment the recipe, you can use different sauces. I have added Sriracha for a little kick. It's such a versatile dish that you can add anything as per your liking.
HOW TO COOK CHICKPEAS
I prefer to cook chickpeas on my own rather than using canned chickpeas. I always have dry chickpeas at home, so it is cost-effective for me plus free of any preservatives. First, soak dried chickpeas overnight in at least 2 qt of water, then drain out the water and cook the chickpeas by adding them in an Instant Pot or any other pressure cooker with a quart of water and some salt.
If you don’t want to soak them overnight, then add them with a quart of water in an instant pot and pressure cook for 60 minutes. To check a detailed description on how to cook Chickpeas in an Instant Pot, CLICK HERE.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I use Canned Chickpeas?
If you don't have raw chickpeas or don't want to do that much hard work. Then you certainly can use canned chickpeas. Just wash them in clean water a couple of times and follow instructions as per the recipe.
Which Sweet Potatoes to use?
You can use nay sweet potato that you have or is available to you. I have used purple sweet potato for the recipe. Any sweet potato will work fine for the recipe. You can also use fried potatoes, if you like.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes?
You can cook them any way you like. You can either steam them, or you can boil them in an Instant Pot or a stove-top pressure cooker. Or if you like you can also bake or air-fry them. I like to use the air-fried ones as they give a little charred flavor and goes great in the recipe.
Can I cook everything in advance?
Yes, to save time you can cook everything and store it in the refrigerator. If you're making the recipe from scratch, it takes some time to actually serve the recipe. So it's a bit convenient to cook everything in advance.
SWEET POTATO & CHICKPEAS HASH
STEP 1 - COOK CHICKPEAS: Cook chickpeas in an Instant Pot or use the canned chickpeas. Then flavor them using Buffalo Sauce until well combined.
STEP 2 - COOK SWEET POTATO: Next step is to cook sweet potatoes. You can steam, or boil, or bake, or air-fry them.
STEP 3 - LAYER THE INGREDIENTS: Layer the ingredients (sweet potato, chickpeas, and veggies) in the bowl. You can add or reduce the ingredients as per your taste.
STEP 4 - ADJUST & SERVE: Lastly, if needed adjust the seasoning. Garnish with some green onions and sauce of your liking, and serve.
SWEET POTATO & CHICKPEAS HASH
- ½ cup Chickpeas soaked for 6-8 hours or overnight
- 2 medium Sweet Potato
- ½ Onion sliced
- ½ Bell Pepper (Red + Green) sliced
- 3-4 tablespoon Buffalo Sauce
- ⅓ cup Lettuce optional
- 1-2 tablespoon Mayonnaise (or Vegan Mayonnaise)
- 1-2 tablespoon Sriracha or any other dressing
- 1 Green Onion length-wise sliced
- Salt & Pepper
HOW TO COOK CHICKPEAS:
- Soaked Chickpeas: Soak Chickpeas for 6-8 hours or overnight. Pressure Cook for 30 minutes in Instant Pot. Let pressure release naturally (NPR) and do not Quick Release.Unsoaked Chickpeas: Add Chickpeas with water and pressure cook for 60 minutes at High-Pressure level. Let pressure release naturally (NPR) and do not Quick Release.Canned Chickpeas: If using canned chickpeas, just rinse in the water a couple of times. If it is a little hard then boil in water for 2-3 minutes.
- Once chickpeas are cooked, strain all the liquid out. Add Buffalo Sauce with chickpeas and keep cooking until chickpeas are well coated and liquid is absorbed.
HOW TO COOK SWEET POTATO:
- Instant Pot: Poke Sweet Potato a couple of times using a fork. Add 1 cup of water in the instant pot and insert trivet in it. Place sweet potato on the trivet and close the lid. Pressure Cook at High-Pressure Level for 12 minutes (for 6-8 ounces), for 18 minutes (for 8-12 ounces), and 25 minutes (for 12-16 ounces). Once timer beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then do Quick Release.
- Ninja Foodi/Mealthy Crisplid/ Air Fryer: Poke Sweet Potato a couple of times using a fork. Place Sweet Potato in the air-fryer basket and air-fry at 400°F fro 30-40 minutes, keep checking in between. Remove Sweet Potatoes from air-fryer and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- Once cooled peel the skin off and cut sweet potatoes in bite-size and keep it aside.
- In a pan or in the Instant Pot, saute veggies until tender. Or you can also add them raw if you like. Soft & tender veggies taste better in the recipe.
LAYERING THE BOWL:
- Take a bowl and add cooked sweet potatoes first. then layer it with cooked buffalo flavored chickpeas (you can also add any other flavoring to chickpeas). Then add sauteed veggies (onions, bell peppers & lettuce) and garnish with some green onions.
- Sprinkle salt & pepper, mayonnaise, and lastly, add some Sriracha (or any other sauce) and serve.