Sweet Potato Gnocchi is easy to make and taste just like a store-bought one. You can experiment with different varieties of sweet potatoes in the recipe. I have used purple sweet because of its gorgeous purple color. It is made by rolling the dough of sweet potatoes, flour, and nutritional yeast.
I love making everything from scratch and I have been making gnocchi for quite some time now. I have tried making gnocchi with potato as well as sweet potato. But purple sweet potato gnocchi is my favorite. It tastes just like a store-bought one with a slight hint of sweetness. If you don't like the taste of sweet potato in gnocchi then you can replace it with potato in the recipe. For more flavors, you can also add some chopped spinach or extra seasoning to the dough.
Nowadays people make all sorts of recipes using sweet potatoes like sweet potato fries, sweet potatoes soup, etc. So why not Gnocchi, right? Here I am sharing my version of making soft & delicious gnocchi.
SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI INGREDIENTS
- SWEET POTATO: For this recipe, you can use any variety of sweet potatoes. I have used purple sweet potato because of its beautiful color. Adding sweet potato will make gnocchi a little sweet in flavor. You can also add potato to the recipe instead of sweet potatoes.
- FLOUR: Next important ingredient is flour. Flour is added with sweet potato to form a dough. If you are using boiled or steamed sweet potatoes then you need more flour. If you are using baked or roasted sweet potato then you just need 1-2 tablespoon of flour in the recipe.
- NUTRITIONAL YEAST: Gnocchi is often made with eggs and parmesan cheese. But as this is vegan I have not used eggs in the recipe. instead, I have added nutritional yeast to provide the same flavor to gnocchi.
- SEASONING: You can also add some extra flavoring to the recipe like Italian seasoning, garlic, etc. You can also add some chopped spinach to the gnocchi.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI
- COOK SWEET POTATOES: You can boil the sweet potatoes or you can also use baked or roasted sweet potatoes. You can boil sweet potatoes in an Instant Pot or air fry them in the air fryer.
- MASH SWEET POTATOES: Once sweet potatoes are cooked and cooled down, then peel the skin off. Then using either a potato masher or fork, mash the sweet potatoes. Make sure the sweet potatoes are properly mashed & there are no lumps.
- MAKE THE DOUGH: Add Sweet potatoes, flour, nutritional yeast to a bowl. Stir all the ingredients until properly combined and forms a dough.
- DIVIDE THE DOUGH: Divide the dough into 4-6 equal parts. Shape each part into balls. Sprinkle some flour on the workbench and place the ball on the workbench.
- ROLL THE DOUGH: Using your hands roll the ball into a cylindrical log of ½ inch in thickness.
- CUT THE DOUGH: Then using a dough cutter, cut the dough into equal size pieces. You may get 10-15 equal-sized gnocchi pieces of 1-inch in thickness.
- SHAPE THE GNOCCHIS: Take a fork and place one dough piece on the back of the fork. Press it gently using your thumb to get the marks. Start rolling from the top and shape it into gnocchi and remove it from the fork.
- BOIL: Once all the gnocchi is shaped then add them to the boiling water. Boil them for 3-5 minutes or until the gnocchi start to float on top of the water.
- PAN FRY & SERVE: Lastly pan-fry gnocchi with oil and your favorite sauce. Adjust the seasoning and serve hot.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is Sweet Potato Gnocchi Healthy?
Sweet Potato Gnocchi is like pasta but shapes like a dumpling. If you compare gnocchi with pasta then pasta is high in protein. Gnocchi is often high in carbohydrates. So to make them healthier I have added nutritional yeast.
What does Sweet Potato Gnocchi taste like?
Gnocchi is often made with potatoes and tastes the same. But when you use sweet potatoes in the recipe then gnocchi turns out a little sweet. They don't have an empowering sweet flavor but have a little sweet after taste. You can serve gnocchi with pesto and goes great in soup or gnocchi bake.
How to Store it?
You can store gnocchi in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Or you can also store it in the freezer for 1-2 months. Once you have made the gnocchi, place them on the baking sheet in a single layer (Do not overcrowd them). Then freeze it for 30 minutes for 1 hour. Then place the gnocchi in freezer-safe bags or containers. When you want to make gnocchi again just place frozen gnocchi directly in the boiling water. Serve with your favorite sauce.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi
Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes
- ½- ¾ cup Flour
- 2 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- Salt & Pepper
- Toss all the ingredients in a food processor except olive oil. And blend it until everything is combined well. Stir in olive oil and keep it aside.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI
Cook Sweet Potatoes:
- Instant Pot: Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot. Insert steamer basket or trivet and place sweet potatoes over it. Close the lid and pressure cook for 10 minutes at a High-pressure level. When the timer beeps, let the pressure release naturally. Once all the pressure is released, open the lid. Carefully remove the sweet potatoes. AIR FRYER: Place sweet potatoes in an air fryer basket. Air fry for 20-40 minutes at 400°F or until sweet potato is properly roasted. (Keep checking the sweet potato for even cooking).
Make the Dough:
- Once sweet potatoes are cooked and are cooled down then peel the skin off. Then using either a potato masher or fork, mash the sweet potatoes. Make sure the sweet potatoes are properly mashed & there are no lumps.
- Add flour, nutritional yeast, and salt & pepper to the sweet potato in a bowl. Stir all the ingredients until properly combined and forms a dough. The dough should be properly formed and compact.
Roll The Dough:
- Divide the dough into 4-6 equal parts. Shape each part into balls. Sprinkle some flour on the workbench and place the ball. (Check the images above)
- Using your hands roll the ball into a cylindrical log of ½ inch in thickness. (Check the images above)
- Using a dough cutter, cut the dough into equal size pieces. You may get 10-15 equal-sized gnocchi pieces of 1-inch in thickness. (Check the images above)
- Take a fork and place one gnocchi piece on the back of the fork. Press it gently using your thumb to get the marks. Start rolling from the top and shape it into gnocchi and remove it from the fork. (Check the images above)
- Add 2-3 quart of water in Instant Pot and press Saute. Once water is boiled then carefully add gnocchi to the boiling water. Boil them for 3-5 minutes or until the gnocchi start to float on top of the water. Or you can also boil the gnocchi on the stove-top. (Check the images above)(Note: You can also add salt to the boiling water. But do it sparingly as gnocchi already has some salt in them).
- Add oil in the pan and place the boiled gnocchi in the pan along with Basil-Mint pesto. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until everything is combined well and a little fried. Adjust the seasoning (if needed) and serve hot.