Sweet Potato & Lentils Curry is a healthy option to enjoy any time of the day and is also low in calories. This is a lentil recipe that has lots of vegetables and keeps you full for a longer time.
I enjoy eating lentil any day of the week and always try to find new ways to relish them. I usually add lots of veggies while making Khichdi or Pulao, so I thought to try to make lentils the same way - and to my amusement, this Lentil recipe turns out super yummy.
As a vegetarian, I like adding lentils to my diet along with some vegetables. And this lentil is super healthy, as I have added hardly any oil. Perfect for those who are looking for new weight-loss recipes. And the best part is you can always make a healthier version of any dish in an Instant Pot.
WHY IS SWEET POTATO & LENTIL CURRY SO HEALTHY
Right now making all the recipes that are super healthy, or helps in weight loss. I'm following a healthy lifestyle for some time, so I thought of sharing some of my fav recipes that turn out great.
Lentil is itself filled with all kinds of health benefits, adding lots of vegetables in it makes it filling without any intake of extra calories. I have added very less oil, to limit the calorie intake, and doesn't have any cream - so Yipee! You can enjoy this recipe over some Brown Rice or can also enjoy it as a soup/ stew.
WHY SWEET POTATO
As sweet potato is a little sweet in taste gives a nice flavor to the curry. Sweet potatoes are highly nutritious, so adding to the dish not only gives nice taste but also makes it healthy & filling.
I make lentils a little spicy, so adding sweet potato always balances the tone. Sweet potato is such a subtle food that when added to anything always makes the dish tastes better. You can not only add sweet potato to sweets but it can also be added to savory dishes. Click here to check my recipe of Ube Cheesecake that I have made using Purple Sweet Potato.
You can add sweet potatoes directly in lentils, or can cook in pot-in-pot and later on added to the curry. I prefer cooking the sweet potato in pot-in-pot and later added to the lentils, otherwise, it gets a little mashed in the curry.
WHAT TO EAT IT WITH
You can eat Sweet Potato & Lentils Curry with White Rice, or Brown Rice, or Quinoa, or any Flatbread. For a healthier option, I prefer eating it with Brown Rice. This recipe has so many flavors that it goes great with almost anything.
You can also enjoy Sweet Potato & Lentils as curry, stew, or soup. Eat it with rice or bread, flavors are so great that you would love to make it again and again.
WHICH LENTILS TO USE IN SWEET POTATO & LENTILS CURRY
I have made this recipe with Channa Daal (Split Black Chickpea Lentils) but you can make this with any lentils you like. It goes great with Channa Daal, Toor Daal, and Green Daal. Making with Green Daal making the recipe more healthier because of its health benefits.
You can use some sprouted lentils too, or even mix 2-3 ingredients together and add to the curry. You can also experiment with the spices too, I have used Indian spices. Depending on the taste & flavor you can definitely add any number of spices to the dish.
Sweet Potato & Lentils Curry
- 1 cup Brown Rice rinsed & soaked
- 2 ½ cups Water
- Press saute and add oil to the inner pot of the Instant Pot. When the oil is hot add chopped onions and keep stirring until they start to change color.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes, then add all the spices and continue to cook for 1 more minute. Now add Ginger-Garlic Paste and cook for another minute.
- Add carrots, peas, sweet potato, and kale to the pot. Transfer rinsed lentils along with the veggies.
- Using the Pot-in-Pot accessory of Instant Pot, add brown rice and water in a container.
- Insert Pot-in-Pot over lentils in Instant Pot and close lid.
- With vent in the sealing position, pressure cook for 15 minutes. When timer beeps NPR (No Pressure Release - meaning let the pressure release naturally) for 10 minutes, and then Quick Release..
- When pressure is released and the valve goes down then open the lid. Remove pot-in-pot from the Instant Pot, add stir the lentils. Serve with cooked brown rice & enjoy!