If you like Nachos then do try my healthier version of Sweet Potato Nachos. They taste so good and can be made in under 30 minutes. This delicious snack is made by roasting sweet potatoes & topping them with black beans, jalapenos, and cheese.
I really like sweet potatoes, especially the air-fried roasted ones. You can make these nachos in the oven or in an air fryer. But if you want a big batch of these nachos, then making them in the oven is a better choice. If you make the nachos in an air fryer, then you will get a little smoky flavor in the sweet potatoes.
I really like nachos as a mid-day snack. So this time I thought to make a healthier version of it by using sweet potatoes. More cheese definitely tastes amazing but if you want to make them healthier then you can skip it or add only a little cheese.
SWEET POTATO NACHO INGREDIENTS
- SWEET POTATOES: Sweet potato is the main ingredient. You can use any sweet potato in the recipe. I have used Japanese sweet potatoes as I really like their taste a lot.
- CHEESE: You can add any cheese. I haven't added a lot of cheese as I wanted the nachos to be healthier. But if you like, you can add more cheese too.
- SPICES: For more flavorful nachos, I have added some spices with sweet potatoes. And then roasted them in the oven.
- BLACK BEANS: I have put some canned black beans in the recipe. You can also use some refried beans. You can try this refried beans recipe by Sonal Gupta at SimplyVegetarian777.
- ADD-ONS: You can also top these nachos with some jalapenos, chopped onions, cherry tomatoes, and guacamole.
- CUT THE SWEET POTATOES: Peel the skin and wash them. Then finely slice the sweet potatoes.
- PREHEAT OVEN: Pre-heat oven at 425F for 15-20 minutes.
- SEASON THE SWEET POTATOES: Mix spices with sweet potatoes until the sweet potatoes are evenly coated.
- ARRANGE SWEET POTATOES: Arrange sweet potatoes in a baking sheet in a single layer. Don't overcrowd them, otherwise sweet potatoes won't cook properly.
- MAKE CHEESE SAUCE: You can put some cheese on the nachos and roast for few minutes until the cheese melts. Or you can also make the cheese sauce with butter, flour, milk & cheese.
- ADD TOPPINGS: Once the nachos are baked then put some toppings on them. You can add some jalapenos, onions, and guacamole.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How to make Sweet Potato Nachos in an Air Fryer?
If you don't want to make Sweet Potato Nachos in an oven, you can still make them in an Air Fryer. Air Fry the sweet potatoes for 30-40 minutes. Let them cool for a couple of minutes. Remove the skin and slice the sweet potatoes. Layer the sweet potatoes in a springfoam pan and sprinkle some cheese & black beans and air-fry again for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese melts. And serve.
Is Sweet Potato Nachos healthy?
It depends on the recipe. But adding less or no cheese will definitely make the nachos healthy. You can use some lemon juice and Greek yogurt for the creamy flavor. Or you can also serve with some delicious dipping sauce.
Sweet Potato Nachos
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Black Beans
- 1 Jalapeno sliced
- ¼ Onion chopped
- ½ cup Corns
- 1 handful Cilantro chopped
HOW TO MAKE SPICE-MIX:
- Put all the spices in a bowl and mix them properly. Keep the bowl aside.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESE SAUCE:
- In a saucepan, put the butter and let it simmer at medium heat. Once the butter starts to melt, add all-purpose flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes until properly combined.
- Then slowly put milk in the pan. Whisk continuously so that the sauce is free of lumps. Let it boil till it reaches the consistency of a sauce. Then add garlic powder, salt & pepper. Cook for 1 more minute.
- Lastly, add cheese and keep whisking. You can add more cheese if needed. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the cheese melts & sauce has a thick consistency. Transfer it into a bowl and let it cool for few minutes.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO NACHOS
- Pre-heat the oven at 425°F for 15-20 minutes. Peel the potatoes and slice them. Then add sweet potatoes in a bowl along with oil & spice-mix. Mix them properly until the sweet potatoes are evenly coated.
- Spray some oil on the baking sheet. Line the sweet potatoes in the baking sheet in a single layer. Roast these sweet potatoes in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes at 425°F.
- Once they are partially roasted, take the baking sheet out of oven. Top the sweet potatoes with black beans and corn. Roast them for 10 more minutes in the oven.
- Once the sweet potatoes are properly roasted, garnish with some jalapenos, onion, cilantro, cheese sauce, and serve. (Note: You can also sprinkle some lemon juice before serving).