Tomato Basil Soup - a deliciously creamy comforting food that can easily be prepared in Instant Pot. This soup is creamy & full of flavors and is made using all the fresh ingredients.
I remember while growing up we have a small vegetable garden where my mom used to grow those big red tasty Tomatoes. Sometimes we used to play with it like a ball (that's not the point here). Once they are fully grown my Mom used to prepare the mosy yummiest Tomato Soup with special addition of Indian spices, and love to drink with some freshly made croutons.
Yet I love having that soup during cold weather, but this Tomato Basil soup is comforting and so filling that you can enjoy it with Grilled Cheese, English Muffin, Croutons, or some freshly Baked Bread.
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO BASIL SOUP
It can be prepared in an Instant Pot, or Stove- Top, or even in a Crockpot. But making soup in Instant Pot is so much easy and flavors come together just great.
I usually prefer using diced tomatoes to the soup, as it gives a very bold taste to the overall flavor. Fresh Basil Leaves is a must to bring out freshness and flavor the recipe. I also added Parmesan Cheese/ Paneer to make the texture creamier and also added some dried herbs for the flavor.
TOMATO BASIL SOUP INGREDIENTS
- Tomatoes: I have used canned tomatoes but you also use fresh tomatoes. too. Adding fresh chopped gives a nice flavor to the overall taste. You also use roasted tomatoes with some garlic and herbs.
- Veggies: I don't like too many veggies in the Tomato Soup, so just add onions, celery, and carrots. These get combined with tomatoes very nicely and gives a sweet flavor to it.
- Dried Herbs: I always like lots of flavors to any recipe. But tomato soup is such a simple and soft in flavors that I only add dried Oregano & Basil.
- Whole Spices: Whole Spices add an extra level of flavoring and yet don't get the bold taste.
- Cream/ Milk/ Broth: you can add milk, cream or broth to the recipe. You can adjust the quantity depending on how creamy you like the soup to be.
- Honey: To balance out the flavors, I add honey to the soup and also gives a slight sweetness.
- Cheese: Lastly I add some Parmesan cheese for an extra layer of creaminess to the recipe. I usually add milk with a little bit of cream to it, so I add cheese at the end to bring out the rich flavor in the texture.
Tomato Soup is made with lots of tomatoes, as tomato is the primary ingredient. It can be served hot or cold in a bowl and can be made in many ways. Some prefer a smooth texture while others prefer a little chunky or even creamy. In summers it can also be enjoyed cold, to beat the heat. But eating it hot in cold weather is a real treat.
- You can add cheese to make the soup super creamy and also give a nice texture.
- I like adding Milk and broth in equal quantity. But you add Cream/Broth/Milk in any proportion you like.
- Honey gives a little sweetness and also helps in balancing the flavors.
- You can also add any spices you like. I prefer adding Garam Masala, Red Chili Flakes, and Roasted Cumin Powder to the soup.
- You can pair Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese or English Muffin or Croutons or Crackers or any homebaked Bread.
SOME COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is Tomato Basil Soup good for Cough & Cold?
As it is a Tomato Basil Soup and is made from tomatoes either fresh or diced. And tomatoes are rich in Vitamin C and so is this soup. Vitamin C boosts the immune system and is also provides the energy that body needs. It also helps in reducing cold & cough symptoms. Other soups that helps when you feel sick.
How to make Tomato Basil Soup Vegan?
This is not a vegan recipe but with some minor changes, you can make it Vegan. Instead of adding cream or milk, you can use coconut milk. Adding coconut milk not only makes it vegan but also elevates the flavor. Also, replace Paneer/ Parmesan Cheese with almond flour.
What to serve Tomato Basil Soup with?
You can serve Tomato Basil Soup with grilled cheese or croutons or freshly baked bread. You can also serve with garlic bread or Cheesy Pesto pull apart bread.
How to Freeze Tomato Basil Soup?
Allow the soup to cool down completely and then transfer the soup in freezer-safe containers or in the freezer bags. Store in the freezer with freezer bags laying flat and then stack and store. When re-using first thaw the soup overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat on the stove-top.
Tomato Basil Soup
- ½ Onion chopped
- 2 Celery stalks chopped
- 2 Carrots chopped
- 1 Can/ 28oz Diced Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Cream/Milk/Broth
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- ¼ Cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Honey (optional)
- Using Saute setting of Instant Pot, add oil to the inner pot. When the oil is hot, add onions and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add celery & carrots to the pot and cook for another 1-2 minutes till they turn a bit soft.
- Add diced tomatoes and mix, and also add Bay Leaf & Cinnamon to the pot.
- Close lid and with the vent in the sealing position, pressure cook for 8 minutes. When the timer beeps, NPR (No Pressure Release) for 10 minutes and later Quick Release.
- When steam is released and the valve goes down, open the lid. Remove Cinnamon & Bay leaf from the pot and add dried Basil & Oregano to the pot.
- Grind it smoothly using Immersion Blender or any other Grinder you prefer. Next, add Milk/Broth/Stock to the pot and keep stirring in between.(Note: You Can use 2 Cups of Cream or 2 Cups of Milk or 2 Cups of Broth. Or can also mix them together in any ratio and add to the pot. I usually add 1 ½ Cups of milk with ½ Cup of Broth and 1-2 tablespoon Cream in the soup).
- Next, add Honey, Garam Masala Powder, Salt & Pepper and keep stirring until it comes to boil.
- Add Parmesan cheese and let it cook till the cheese melts and add fresh Basil Leaves before serving.