Turmeric milk (or Golden Milk) is an Ayurvedic beverage that has anti-inflammatory & nourishing properties. This is one beverage that I always drink before going to bed as it also helps in boosting the immune system. Follow the step- by -step instructions to make this incredible drink in Instant Pot or on Stove-Top.
Turmeric is one of the widely used spices in Indian cooking. So I always have that in my pantry and I try to incorporate turmeric powder in most of my recipes. And Turmeric Milk (or Golden Milk) is one of the best ways to use turmeric powder.
All through my childhood, my Mom used to make Turmeric Milk whenever I got sick. It helps in reducing the inflammation, pain, and also boosts the immune system and it is often referred to as "Mother of All Healing".
WHAT IS TURMERIC?
Turmeric is a spice that comes from the Turmeric plant & it is often used in Asian food. The yellow color of the curry often comes from the turmeric powder. It is yellow in color and is warm and bitter in taste. It has so many medicinal properties that it has been used in many Ayurvedic medicines from a long time ago.
If you're used to the flavor of Turmeric then Turmeric milk is going to be your next favorite drink. Nowadays thanks to its medicinal properties & its awareness, many people are incorporating turmeric in smoothies, lattes, soups, etc.
WHAT ARE TURMERIC HEALTH BENEFITS?
Turmeric has many health benefits that's why I use it in my daily cooking. If you don't like the flavor of Turmeric then Turmeric Milk (or golden Milk) is an easy way to consume this healthy drink. Below mentioned are some of the main benefits of Turmeric:
- Reduces Inflammation and increases Antioxidants in the body.
- Improves memory and lowers the risk of brain diseases.
- Prevents the Risk of Cancer.
- Boosts the Immune System.
- Lower the Risk of Heart Diseases.
Because of the presence of so many health benefits, this is the first thing to have whenever someone gets sick. Taste even better, I also season it with my Chai/Tea Masala.
TURMERIC MILK INGREDIENTS
- MILK: I often use regular 2% milk but based on your diet you can use Almond Milk, Oats Milk, etc.
- SWEETENER: If you want to taste like lattes you can use sugar, sweetener, Honey, or Agave Syrup. I like adding Honey to my latte.
- TURMERIC POWDER: You can use store-bought turmeric powder or if you have you can also use fresh turmeric (it will give stronger flavor). Or you can also use Homemade Turmeric Powder.
- SPICES: I usually use Chai Masala in the recipe. But you can also use Ginger Powder, Cardamom, Cinnamon, etc when boiling milk.
- NUTS: Though Nuts are not usually needed but give a crunch to the Turmeric Milk/Latte. I like adding Almonds & Pistachios.
HOW TO MAKE TURMERIC MILK
- ADD INGREDIENTS: First either in Instant Pot or on a stove-top add all the ingredients including milk, spices, sweetener, saffron, etc. You can add Chai Masala or individual spices.
- BOIL/ PRESSURE COOK: Then close the lid & boil or pressure cook. Pressure cook for 2 minutes & then Quick Release. Or boil for 7-8 minutes until everything is cooked well.
- GARNISH & SERVE: Lastly (if needed) strain Turmeric Milk and garnish with some chopped Nuts. Adjust the sweetness (if needed) and serve.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is Turmeric Milk Good for Cough?
Turmeric milk has medicinal properties that help in curing cough, especially dry cough. When turmeric powder mixed with milk is considered to be ideal for cough. It helps in fighting the infection because of its anti-inflammatory & antibacterial properties.
Is turmeric Milk good for weight loss?
Turmeric Milk has dietary fiber that helps in weight loss & aids fat reduction. It also boots metabolism & prevents fat accumulation.It is also rich in protein and calcium, so when taken at night it helps in weight loss.
Is Turmeric Good for Skin?
Since a long time ago, Turmeric Milk is used in numerous Indian skincare products. They are used in DIY masks for clarifying the skin & complexion. It also helps in reducing acne too.
Turmeric milk (or Golden Milk)
- Add Milk, Turmeric Powder, Chai Masala, Saffron, and Maple Syrup in the Instant Pot and close the lid.
- With vent in the sealing position pressure cook for 2 minutes. When timer beeps, Quick Release by moving vent to the venting position.
- When the valve goes and all the steam is released, open lid. You can blend in a Blender to make froth or you can also use a frother. Transfer the prepared Milk in the mug and garnish with chopped Almonds and Pistachios. Serve immediately.
- Add Milk, Turmeric Powder, Chai Masala, Saffron, and Maple Syrup to the pan and bring it to boil.
- Transfer the prepared milk in the Blender to make froth or use a frother. Transfer milk in the mugs and garnish with chopped Almonds & Pistachios. Serve immediately.