Veg Seekh Kabab is a vegan/vegetarian adaptation of famous minced meat kababs. This is made by making cylindrical logs from veggies and soya chunks/jackfruit with spices. These logs are then air fried or baked or fried.
In this recipe, I've tried to convert the famous Meat Seek Kabab into a vegan dish. Adding soya chunks makes its taste close to the authentic recipe.
They are great for mid-day snacks as well as for outdoor picnics. And they look so great that I'm sure you wont be able to resist. These kebabs go great with Green Chutney as a snack with some chopped vegetables, and can also be served in curries.
I prefer making the Kabab in advance as it saves time. And when we are ready to eat, I just air-fry or roast or sometimes fry them. These are very popular at my place as everyone enjoys them.
WHY ARE VEG SEEKH KABAB SO SPECIAL?
If you think Kabab made of soya chunks & veggies very boring, then think again. This is a great example to prove how fine and complex flavors work together when carefully balanced. Kabab is a blend of so many ingredients and yet no ingredients will ever overpower the flavor.
The best part is that you can add any vegetable in the recipe that you have in hand. Potatoes are needed as they bind everything together, along with some flour. If you don't have Soya Chunks, then you can use other colorful veggies (like carrots, beets, beans, peas, etc).
WHY ADD SOYA CHUNKS?
If you want the kababs to taste like the authentic Seekh Kabab, then soya chunks are preferred. Not only do they provide that flavor but also they are high in protein. So if you want protein-rich Veg Seekh Kabab, I recommend you add soya chunks.
You can also add Jackfruit if you prefer. This dish is so full of flavor that you won't taste the bland taste of soya chunks or jackfruit in it.
TIPS TO REMEMBER
- Potatoes act as a base ingredient. Potatoes hold everything together make it easy to mold the kababs in shape. I don't add too many potatoes, just 1 small potato is enough to bind the mixture together.
- Soya Chunks are dry at first. To use them in the recipe I first boil them in water. And then strain & squeeze the water out. If you don't squeeze the soya chunks, then water content in them will make the mixture too wet. To make it dry, you will have to add extra flour. And will affect the texture & flavor of the kababs.
- You can add as many vegetables as you like. More vegetables you add, more colorful the kabab are gonna be. I always add Beets as they give a nice red color which looks very appetizing.
- I add 1-2 tbsp of Flour to the kabab. You can add all-purpose flour, gram flour, almond flour, etc. I prefer adding almond flour as it makes Kababs healthier, compared to other varieties of flour.
- As for spices, usual Indian Spices work best. But if you have any other preference, you can give it a try and work out what tastes best for you.
HOW TO MAKE VEG SEEKH KABAB
- ADD INGREDIENTS: Add all the ingredients in the food processor including veggies & spices and blend until well combined.
- MIX FLOUR: Next transfer the mixture to a bowl and add mashed potato & flour and knead it until stiff & you can roll into kabab.
- MAKE KABAB: Next small amount of mixture in your palms and roll around the skewer until it's a cylindrical shape, repeat the process for the remaining mixture.
- AIR FRY KABABS: Place kababs in a single layer in an air fryer basket and air-fry for 15 minutes until cooked at 400 degrees.
- ADJUST & SERVE: Sprinkle some lemon juice & chaat masala & serve.
- Mexican Street-Style Corns
- Aloo Tikki Chaat
- Stuffed Bread Pakoda
- Spiced Potatoes
- Fried Idli
- Caribbean Jerk Veggies
Veg Seekh Kabab
- ½ cup Soya Chunks
- 2 cups Water
- ⅓ cup Beets shredded
- ⅓ cup Carrot shredded
- ⅓ cup French Bean
- ⅓ cup Green Peas
- 1 small Potato boiled
- 1.4 cup Cheese/Paneer or Vegan Cheese
- ⅓ cup Flour All-purpose, Gram, Amond, etc, or as needed
- 1 Green Chili
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ½ inch Ginger
- ¼ cup Cilantro & Mint Leaves
BOILING SOYA CHUNKS:
- Add water in the pot and bring it to boil. Once water is boiled, add Soya Chunks. Turn off heat & cover the pot with lid and leave it for 10-15 minutes.
- When Soya Chunks are boiled, drain the water. Rinse the chunks with water a couple of times to remove any excess starch. When the soya chunks cool down, squeeze them to remove any excess water and transfer in a food processor.
- Add all the vegetables (carrots, french beans, peas, beets, carrots, potato, cheese/paneer, green chili, garlic, ginger, cilantro & mint leaves) and spices (garam masala powder, coriander powder, mango powder, turmeric powder, and red chili powder). Turn on the food processor and blend till you get even consistency. They should be coarse and not a paste.
- Transfer the blended mixture in a bowl and combine with the flour. Add little at a time, fold in with the veggie mixture and if needed, add more.
Shaping the Kababs:
- Add some oil in your hand. Take a ball-shaped mixture and start making a shape on the bamboo skewer like a cylindrical log. Repeat this step for the rest of the mixture and keep it aside.
Cooking the Kababs:
- AIR-FRYER: Add oil in your palms, Before putting in the air-fryer, roll the Kababs again. Add the kabobs in a single layer in an air-fryer and leave space between the two kababs. Air-Fry for 15-18 minutes at 400°F until they turn brown.(Note: You can increase or decrease the time for air-fryer as needed, it depends on the air-fryer you are using).
- OVEN: Preheat oven at 400°F. Meanwhile, line the baking tray with parchment paper, and then arrange rolled kababs in a baking tray. Leave a space of 2-3 inches between two kababs. Oil all the sides and bake for 20-25 minutes until they are cooked and turn brown in color.
- SKILLET: Add oil in the pan. Once the oil is hot, add the kababs. Keep rotating the kababs to make sure all sides are cooked evenly.
- In a tortilla, spread a layer of Mayonnaise in the middles. Top with some lettuce & onions. Add the baked/air-fried Veg Kabab.
- Top them with some shredded beets & carrots. Sprinkle some Chaat Masala & Lemon Juice.
- Lastly, add Sriracha or Green Chutney as per your taste. Serve it immediately.