Nankhatai is a crunchy & delicious eggless Indian cookie made by using ghee, flour, cardamom powder, and nuts. You can make these bakery-style cookies at home using simple to follow instructions.
Just like Christmas or Holiday Cookies, I usually make Nankhatai when Diwali is approaching to prepare myself in advance for the festivities. You can make them at Christmas or for Diwali, or whenever you crave something sweet. They go perfectly with Tea (Indian Masala Chai) or Coffee for evening snacks.
In India, most people prefer eggless sweets & snacks. That is why Nankhatai cookies are made without eggs. Despite being eggless, they still taste perfect. These melt-in-mouth cookies are so delicious that you will be tempted to go on eating them. And when you bake them, the aroma that fills your home is just divine. If you're looking for some other Eggless Cookies, CLICK HERE.
WHAT IS NANKHATAI?
As I mentioned earlier, Nankhatai is an Indian Cookie that is made without eggs. These cookies are flavored with cardamom powder and saffron. Adding Ghee/Clarified Butter makes them melt in the mouth. I love having them with Tea or Coffee. Nankhatai always tastes great.
Every household has its own recipe for Nankhatai. Some use all-purpose flour or chickpea flour, whole others prefer whole wheat cookies. That's the beauty of these cookies that you can make them with any flour, like all-purpose, or chickpea, or whole wheat, or almond flour.
I do add an extra layer of flavoring to these delicious Indian cookies by adding cardamon powder & fennel powder in the cookie dough. I top them with roughly chopped nuts like pistachio, almonds & cashews.
- FLOUR: I prefer adding a flour-mix of all-purpose Flour, Chickpea Flour, Almond Flour, and Rava. You can add any flour in the recipe like all-purpose flour, chickpeas flour, almond flour, wheat flour, etc. The Nankhatai will taste great no matter which flour you use.
- BUTTER/OIL: To make it a little healthier, you can add Olive Oil to the recipe. But to get the original flavor, I recommend that you add Ghee (Clarified Butter) in the recipe. Or you can also add any unsalted butter.
- SUGAR: You can add sugar or honey or brown sugar to the recipe for sweetness.
- FLAVORING: You can add any flavoring to the recipe. I like adding Cardamon & Fennel Powder along with some Saffron. You can experiment with the flavor as per your taste.
- GARNISH: You can add chopped nuts along with some saffron & garnish with some dried rose petals. Basically, you can top these Indian cookies with anything.
- SIEVE THE FLOUR: Make the flour mix by adding all-purpose flour, chickpea flour, and sooji in a bowl and then sieve the flour.
2. MIX BUTTER & SUGAR: Add butter & sugar in a stand mixer and continue mixing until it turns smooth & fluffy.
3. MAKE DOUGH: Make cookie dough by adding flour in butter & sugar mixture and combine lightly until mixed and formed like a dough.
4. REFRIGERATE: Wrap the dough using cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take the dough out and make balls. Place these dough balls on a baking sheet. Then refrigerate them for 15-20 minutes. Simultaneously, preheat the oven.
5. BAKE: Bake the cookies for 15- 20 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees until the cookies are crispy and a little brown in color from the edges.
- In a bowl, sieve together the all-purpose flour, chickpeas flour, and sooji/rava. Then add salt and mix until combined.
- In a stand mixer, add Ghee/Butter, Sugar, and crushed Saffron strands. Mix these at medium speed until the mixture is smooth & fluffy in texture.
- Then lightly mix flour to the butter & sugar mixture until it forms like a dough. Wrap the cookie dough in a cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a baking tray, line the parchment paper. Then take the dough out and make equal size balls from the dough. The dough balls should be around 1-inch in diameter. Place these on the baking tray. (Note: Lightly flatten the dough and place the dough a little apart).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the baking tray in the refrigerator again for 15-20 minutes until the oven preheats.
- Once the oven preheats. take the baking tray out of the refrigerator and add chopped nuts on top of the dough balls.
- Place the baking tray in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F or until the bottom of the cookies starts to change color.
- Remove the cookies from the baking tray and let them cool completely. Store in an air-tight container and enjoy!.