These rainbow-colored Vietnamese Spring Rolls are such a great Summer treat. These are great for lunch or dinner or even breakfast in Summer & Spring. You can add any ingredients in these rice wraps like veggies, fruits, grains, etc and serve with peanut dipping sauce.
These rolls are so versatile that you can add any ingredients of your liking. I like adding lots of veggies, as it not only looks gorgeous but also tastes great during summertime. You can even make these rolls using fruits, and serve as a light dessert item. Being a vegetarian, I add an extra layer of air-fried & seasoned tofu as a protein substitute. Check out this short YouTube Video to assemble the Vietnamese spring rolls.
I first stumbled on this recipe when visiting one of the fests in Union County. I was always too scared to try it by myself. When I first tried making them, the spring rolls were a complete mess. I filled them so much that I was not able to wrap them properly. And other times all of the filling was dropping in the dipping sauce.
After a couple of trials, I'm now able to wrap the spring rolls properly, though still not an expert. But if a roll is nicely wrapped and tastes good, then that's enough for me. Not everyone needs to be an expert.
VIETNAMESE SPRING ROLL INGREDIENTS
- RICE PAPER WRAPPERS: You add all the filling in these rice wrappers. these are easily available in any grocery store. Or you can also get it from Amazon.
- GRAINS: I have used rice noodles, but you can add rice, quinoa, wild rice, orzo, etc. My personal favorite is rice noodles.
- GREENS: I have used lettuce in the recipe. But any other green vegetable like spinach or romaine also works well.
- VEGGIES: I have used julienned cucumber, carrots, red bell pepper, etc. Basically, any colorful veggies will work in these summer rolls.
- HERBS: Green Onions, Cilantro, Basil, or Mint goes great in the recipe.
- PROTEIN: This is optional but I like adding air-fried seasoned tofu in my Vietnamese Spring Rolls.
- DIPPING SAUCE: Any dipping sauce works with these versatile rainbow-colored spring rolls. But I like peanut sauce with it.
PEANUT DIPPING SAUCE
Any dipping sauce will go great with these Summer Rolls. But they pair best with Peanut Dipping Sauce. It is savory, creamy, a little spicy, and full of deliciousness. It is easy to make and goes great as a dipping with any veggies. You can also use this sauce in Sesame Noodles.
I have made Peanut Dipping Sauce by whisking creamy peanut butter with minced ginger & garlic, soy sauce, chili sauce, and vinegar. You can add or reduce the ingredients as per your liking and taste.
HOW TO MAKE VIETNAMESE SPRING ROLLS (STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS)
STEP 1- PREPARE ALL INGREDIENTS: The recipe has only a few steps. So it is best to first prepare the ingredients. Assemble all the ingredients by cutting all the veggies, herbs, tofu (or any protein), and rice wrappers.
STEP 2- DIP WRAPPER: Next step is to dip wrapper in warm water in a shallow dish. Take a shallow dish so that rice wrapper can be dipped properly. I usually use a baking tray for hydrating the rice wrappers.
STEP 3- ADD FILLING: Add filling to the side closest to you and leave a 1-inch gap on all the sides. Add a little quantity of each ingredient.
STEP 4- WRAPPING: Start wrapping by folding the sides together. Fold the top and bottom side first. Pick the side closest to you and start rolling it like a burrito.
STEP 5- DIPPING SAUCE: Whisk together all the ingredients of the peanut dipping in a bowl. I have used creamy peanut butter, minced ginger & garlic, chili sauce, vinegar, soy sauce in the recipe.
It's best to eat these rolls soon after cooking them as the rice wrappers tend to get hard and chewy when left for a long time. Or you can wrap the rolls with a damp cloth so that they won't lose the moisture. You can then store them in an air-tight container.
For an extra layer of protein, you can add seasoned tofu in the recipe. I like adding seasoned air-fried Tofu pieces in the Vietnamese Spring Rolls.
Vietnamese Summer Rolls
Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Whisk all the ingredients in a bowl until properly combined.
- First prepare & assemble noodles and vegetables so that it would be easier to make the rolls quickly.
- Prepare rice wrappers by dipping them in warm water. But don't soak them for too long, only as long as instructed in the package.
- Layer the rolls with the ingredients. Don't overfill them. Leave a gap of about 1 inch from all the sides.
- Start rolling by first folding top and bottom and then roll the sides like a burrito. It is best to keep the filling in the center and then roll the sides.
- Serve the Summer Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce.