Homemade Hummus recipe is an easy recipe and you can quickly whip it with just a handful of ingredients. It is made by blending chickpeas with tahini sauce, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice until smooth & creamy in texture.
Homemade Hummus is one of the easiest dips you can make at home. All you need is a can of chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, tahini, and lemon juice. Classic hummus has tahini in it, but if you don’t like the taste then you can skip it too.
Hummus is one of my favorite dips along with some Garlic Sauce. Hummus goes great in Pita Rolls or as a dip with some pita chips & veggies. It is not only great in taste but also super-healthy & protein-rich as it is made of Chickpeas.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE HUMMUS
Here are the ingredients you need to make smooth and creamy Hummus:
CHICKPEAS: You can use canned chickpeas or garbanzo beans or cook chickpeas for the Hummus. I prefer cooking the chickpeas in my Instant Pot. For a quicker version, you can use the canned chickpeas.
TAHINI: This is another main ingredient needed for making Hummus. Tahini is basically paste made of sesame seeds. Traditionally, tahini sauce is added to the hummus. But you can also add fresh sesame seeds in the food processor or can avoid it altogether and hummus will still taste great.
I first add tahini sauce along with olive oil in my food processor and blend it until smooth. Then add chickpeas in the food processor along with ice cubes and lemon juice. Blend it until smooth and creamy.
HOW TO COOK CHICKPEAS
I prefer to cook chickpeas on my own rather than using canned chickpeas. I always have dry chickpeas at home, so it is cost-effective for me plus free of any preservatives. First, I soak dried chickpeas overnight in at least 2 qt of water. Then drain out the water and cook the chickpeas by adding them in an Instant Pot or any other pressure cooker with a quart of water and some salt.
If you don’t want to soak them overnight, then add chickpeas in boiling water for 1 hour. Then add them with a quart of water in an instant pot and pressure cook for 30 minutes.
TIPS TO REMEMBER
PROCESS TAHINI & OLIVE OIL FIRST: When you buy tahini, the oil gets separated from the solid part. If you process it first with olive oil then you’ll get a creamier base and hummus will turn out smooth.
PEEL THE MEMBRANES: If you have time and you want to make hummus extra creamy & smooth, then peel membranes off from cooked chickpeas.
ADD ICE CUBES INSTEAD OF WATER: I always add ice-cubes when needed instead of water. One of my Lebanese friend told me this tip. She said if you add ice cubes (when chickpeas are too dry and you need to add water) then Hummus will turn out super creamy. And that really made a difference.
📖 RECIPE CARD
EASY HOMEMADE HUMMUS
- ¼ cup Tahini
- ¼ cups Olive Oil
- 2-3 cloves Garlic
- 2-3 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 4-5 Ice Cubes (if needed)
- Add 1 cup of chickpeas along with 2 cups of water in an Instant Pot and close the lid. With vent in the sealing, position pressure cook for 30 minutes.
- Open the lid and let it cool completely.
- (Note: Chickpeas should mash when pressed between the two fingers. If not then you can add Baking Soda to them and mix).
- In a food processor, add Tahini Sauce & Olive Oil and process until smooth.
- Add chickpeas and continue to blend until well combined. Then add Garlic, Salt, & Lemon Juice and process until creamy.
- (Note: The longer you process, the smoother Hummus is gonna be. Also if the hummus is too thick, add ice-cubes - that way it will retain the texture and make the hummus creamier.)
- Transfer in a bowl, sprinkle some olive oil on top of the Hummus. I have also added some Cayenne Pepper that has given a nice color to the Hummus.
- Serve in a bowl with your favorite Pita Chips & Veggies. It can also be added to wraps & rolls.