Sprouted Green Lentils are packed with protein and highly nutritious. Lentils sprouts can easily be made at home and also in an Instant Pot and are way cheaper than buying from the supermarket. You can use them as chaat, or salad, or curry, or even add them to Buddha Bowl.
While growing up, my Mom always used to keep sprouts in the refrigerator. Sometimes we enjoyed them as a chaat or sometimes she used to make it with nuts. I liked sprouts either way, but now I like them more in a Buddha Bowl.
In India, there are some chaat corners where they serve sprouted green Lentils Chaat. First, they boil them in turmeric water, and later add onion & tomatoes to it. And finish it up with some spices. It's their authentic way that makes this chaat so incredible.
HOW TO SPROUT LENTILS
SOAK LENTILS: Sprouting is a natural process of germinating the seeds so they put on the roots. I start the process by first adding dry lentils in a jar with water. When they double or triple up in the size, I remove them from the jar and transfer them to a colander.
STEP 2 - SOAK IN WATER: Then I store these lentils in a dry & warm place to start the sprouting process. Cover the colander with a mesh lid or muslin cloth.
STEP 3 - SPROUTING: After every 6-8 hours, rinse them with water and drain the water out. Keep it for 24-36 hours until the roots are long enough. Then store in an airtight container, and use them as needed.
STEP 4 - BOIL SPROUTS: Next step is to boil the sprouts by adding turmeric powder with water in an Instant Pot or stove-top pressure cooker. Or you can eat them raw by adding some veggies and spices in it.
STEP 5 - ADD INGREDIENTS: Next is to add onions, tomatoes, boiled potatoes, and cucumber and mix until combined. Also add some spices like garam masala, cumin powder, etc to the sprouts.
STEP 6 - ADJUST & SERVE: Lastly adjust the seasoning and serve them hot or cold.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
ARE SPROUTED GREEN LENTILS HEALTHY?
Sprouted Lentils are actually healthier than the lentils. Sprouting increases the protein content in the lentils or the seeds. They are also a rich source of nutrients like potassium, magnesium, fiber, etc. These can be cooked quickly, are also easily digestible, and help in weight-loss.
WHICH LENTILS TO USE FOR SPROUTING?
You can make sprouts using any lentils or seeds. Though Green Lentils and Black Chickpeas are high in protein, so I prefer making sprouts using these two lentils only. Using the same process of sprouting, you can make sprouts using any lentil.
SPROUTED GREEN LENTILS CHAAT
Though you can use Sprouted Green Lentils in a variety of recipes, I prefer using them in a Chaat. There are many street corners in India that serve this Sprouted Green Lentils Chaat specifically. While growing up, I and my friends used to love their amazing taste.
Those Chaat Corners use a specific spice-mix that gives these sprouts a very unique flavor. They add onions and tomatoes with spice-mix to lightly boiled sprouted lentils. They boil sprouted lentils with turmeric, that gives a yellow color to them.
So to get the same flavor, I boil the sprouted lentils with turmeric powder in an Instant Pot and use them in chaat or sometimes in a Buddha Bowl. They do taste great in Buddha bowl too along with Quinoa, avocado, red radish, and other veggies too.
- AVOCADO TOAST
- BURRITO BOWL
- STUFFED BREAD PAKORA
- BAKED POTATO
- HAWAIIAN EGGS
- METHI THEPLA
- SABUDANA KHICHDI
SPROUTED GREEN LENTILS & SPROUTED GRENN LENTILS CHAAT
Green Lentil Sprouts
- 2 cups Green Lentils rinsed
- 6 cups Water to soak
Green Lentils Chaat
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- Red Chili Powder as per taste
- 1 tablespoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Amchur/ Mango Powder
- ½ teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 Lemon Juice
- ½ teaspoon Chaat Masala
- Cilantro (to Garnish)
Green Lentil Sprouts
- Put rinsed lentils in the mason jar and add water to it. Don't close the lid, instead cover with a muslin cloth or mesh lid. Don't overfill as lentils will triple in size, best to leave some space. Let it rest for 24 hours at least, when lentils size increases, strain the water out.
- Rinse the lentils in the colander and leave it for another 24- 36 hours, When roots start to shoot and are of the proper size, then you can transfer them in an airtight container and store in a refrigerator.INSTANT POT: Rinse the lentils in the colander and transfer in the steamer basket. Transfer it in the inner pot of Instant Pot. Cover it with a plate or a glass lid. Press the Yogurt button and set the timer for 10- 12 hours. After 12 hours when roots are grown up, transfer in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
Green Lentils Chaat
- STOVETOP: Add lentils in the stovetop pressure cooker. Add turmeric powder and cover lentils with water in the cooker. Close lid and pressure cook till 1 whistle. When pressure is released, open the lid and strain liquid, transfer lentils in a bowl.INSTANT POT: Add lentils in the inner pot of Instant Pot and cover lentils with water. Add turmeric powder and close lid. With vent in the sealing position, pressure cook for 2 minutes. NPR (No Pressure Release) for 10 minutes and then Quick Release. When the valve goes down and it's safe, then open the lid. Strain the liquid and transfer lentils in a bowl.
- Add onions, tomatoes, garam masala powder, red chili powder, salt, mango powder, cumin powder, lemon juice, chaat masala, and cilantro in the bowl with green lentils and mix. Serve it hot or cold and enjoy!
Just made this. First time sprouting lentils. Not sure I will have it for breakfast though. Thanks for the recipe.