Stuffed Pepper Soup is warm, comforting, and bursting with flavors. It is vegan and is made by adding bell peppers, rice, lentils, roasted & diced tomatoes along with some spices.
It has been so cold lately. And soups taste best in cold weather, don't they? I've been making soups for dinner regularly since the winters started. Recently, I made Stuffed Pepper Soup. Everyone at home really enjoyed it. It has beautiful red color because of fire-roasted & diced tomatoes. An extra dash of color is provided by the veggies that I have added to the soup.
This soup itself is very filling but you can s.till pair it with some bread. I like it with home-baked Focaccia Bread or Pesto Babka. You can add any seasoning of your choice. You can also experiment with the grain (white rice, brown rice, quinoa, etc.), though I like the texture better with white rice. Also, any colored lentil too will work in the recipe.
INGREDIENTS TO USE
- LENTILS: This is the main ingredient for making the recipe. You can add any lentils for making this recipe. I have used red & brown lentils. The recipe turned out great.
- VEGETABLES: You can add any number of vegetables to make it healthier. I have added onions, celery, carrots for the soup base. And also added fire-roasted & diced tomatoes. Along with that, I have added some colorful bell peppers (red & green) to the recipe.
- FLAVORINGS: I have added some Italian Seasoning & Cayenne Pepper for a little spicy flavor. You can add any seasoning of your choice.
- CREAM: This is optional but if you like the soup to be extra creamy, you can add it. I personally don't like adding cream to the soup, but it's totally based on your taste.
- GRAIN: I only add this for some extra protein and to give a better texture to the soup. Lentils are already rich in protein, but being a vegetarian I like adding more protein to the food.
- LEMON JUICE: Although lemon juice is not required, it gives a nice flavor to the overall taste.
HOW TO MAKE STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
- SAUTE VEGGIES: First saute veggies (onions, jalapenos, celery, carrots, and any other veggies) until tender.
- ADD OTHER INGREDIENTS: Add lentils, rice, bell peppers, tomatoes, and stock/water. Then add your choice of spices & seasonings.
- ADJUST & SERVE: Adjust the seasoning (if needed) and serve the soup with some home-baked bread and enjoy!
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is Stuffed Pepper Soup healthy?
Consuming Lentils is super healthy and beneficial. Eating plant-based foods is great for the heart. So as this soup has lentils in it, the soup is healthy for you. It keeps you full for a longer time & so also helps in weight loss. Also, if interested do check this list of Healthy Vegetarian Soups.
How to store Stuffed Pepper Soup?
You can store the Soup in the refrigerator for 3-5 days in an air-tight container. Or you can also freeze the soup in a freezer-safe container or in Ziploc bags. When reheating, thaw the soup overnight in the refrigerator. Once it is thawed then you can reheat the soup on the stove-top or in the microwave.
Is Stuffed Pepper Soup gluten-free?
Yes, Stuffed pepper Soup is gluten-free. It has rice & rice is usually gluten-free. You can also add brown rice, quinoa, jasmine rice, etc and it still will be gluten-free.
- TOMATO BASIL SOUP
- ETHIOPIAN LENTIL STEW
- TRI-COLORED LENTIL SOUP
- SWEET POTATO LENTIL CURRY
- BRAIDED PESTO BABKA
- FOCACCIA BREAD
- SPLIT PEA SOUP
STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Rice soaked & rinsed
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 2 stalks Celery chopped
- 2 Carrots chopped
- 3-4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Jalapenos chopped
- 2 cups Bell Pepper diced
- 1 14.5 oz can Fire-roasted diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup Tomato Sauce canned
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 cup Lentils rinsed & soaked
- 5 Cups Vegetable Stock/ Water
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasonings
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Cayenne Pepper or Red Chili Flakes
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- 2-3 tablespoon Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon Parsley chopped
- 1 Jalapeno sliced
HOW TO MAKE LENTILS SOUP IN AN INSTANT POT
- Press Saute and put oil in the Instant Pot. When the oil is hot then add onion, carrots, jalapenos, garlic, celery, and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft & tender.(Note: If you don't want the soup to be spicy, you can de-seed the jalapenos).
- Add rinsed lentils, rice, bell peppers, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce along with stock/water in the pot. Add Italian seasoning, salt, Cayenne Pepper, and Thyme and stir.
- Close the lid. With the vent in the sealing position, pressure cook at the high-pressure level for 10 minutes, followed by NPR.
- When the pressure is released and the valve goes down, open the lid and mix everything properly. Add ¼ cup of lemon juice and mix until well combined.
- Pour soup in a bowl and garnish some chopped bell peppers, parsley, and jalapenos and serve hot.
HOW TO MAKE LENTIL SOUP ON STOVE-TOP:
- At medium heat, add oil in the stove-top pressure cooker. When the oil is hot then add onion, garlic, jalapenos, carrots, and celery. Cook for 2-3 minutes until everything is soft & tender.(Note: If you don't want the soup to be spicy, you can de-seed the jalapenos).
- Then add rinsed lentils, rice, bell peppers, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce along with stock/water in the pot. Add Italian seasoning, salt, Cayenne Pepper, and Thyme and stir.
- Close the lid and pressure cook till 7 whistles at medium-high heat. Let the pressure release naturally and then open the lid. When pressure is released and the valve goes down, open the lid and mix everything properly.
- Add ¼ cup of lemon juice and mix until well combined. Pour soup in a bowl and garnish some chopped bell peppers, parsley, and jalapenos and serve hot.